Beavers' win streak halted at four in 5-1 defeat
PORTLAND, Ore. - Seth Etherton continued his string of strong performances at PGE Park, striking out eight and allowing one run over seven innings, and Ivan De Jesus, Jr., drove in three runs as the Albuquerque Isotopes scored four early runs and coasted to a 5-1 win over the Portland Beavers Saturday night.
Etherton (5-4), who pitched for Portland (47-74) in 2006, took a no-hitter into the fifth inning while recording his third straight start in Portland of one run and seven or more innings, dating back to 2009, when he held his former team to two runs in 15 innings across two starts for the Reno Aces.
De Jesus had two hits - a two-run single in the second and an RBI double in the ninth - and Jamie Hoffmann went 3-for-4 with two RBIs to give Albuquerque (59-60) its first win since Sunday against Fresno.
Mike Baxter drove in the Beavers' only run with a sixth-inning single, giving him RBIs in seven of his last nine games.
Cesar Carrillo's (4-12) win drought moved to 16 starts after he gave up four runs on seven hits in five innings. He leads the league in losses and has not won since May 18 in Nashville.
The Isotopes scored two runs in the first on Hoffmann's double and two more in the second on De Jesus's single.
Josh Barfield's single with one out in the fifth was Portland's first hit. The Beavers would get their run an inning later when Baxter followed singles by Cedric Hunter and Luis Durango with an RBI single to right.
De Jesus picked up an RBI ground-rule double in the ninth as Albuquerque cushioned its lead.
The Beavers and Isotopes continue their four-game series with game three Sunday at PGE Park at 2:05 p.m. (Pacific). In addition to Kids Club Sunday, the first 1,000 kids will receive Beavers drawstring bags as part of Back-to-School Day. Fans are encouraged to bring school supplies to donate at the game to the Schoolhouse Supplies drive, presented by Supercuts.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 14, 2010
- Beavers' win streak halted at four in 5-1 defeat - Portland Beavers
- Reno down Z's in twin bill 6-0, 5-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Aces Sweep Doubleheader Over Zephyrs - Reno Aces
- Bees Sting Sounds On Saturday, 9-4 - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Rally Late to Down Sky Sox - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Durango, Beavers Rally to Beat Isotopes in 10 Innings - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss