Bears Shutout Volcanoes in Rubber Match to Take Series
The Yakima Bears shutout the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes 2-0 Sunday at Yakima County Stadium. The Bears took three-of-five games from the Volcanoes for the team's first series win of the 2012 season.
The pitching staff was the story all day long. Starter Daniel Watts allowed three hits and no walks in his five innings while collecting his first professional win. Victor Acosta then spread out three hits and no walks in two innings of work. Frank Santana tossed a 1-2-3 eighth and Blake Forslund earned his first professional save while allowing one hit in the ninth. The four pitchers walked none while fanning only two batters. Quick work by the pitchers made Sunday's win the fastest game of the season, as it lasted only two hours and nine minutes.
Both teams finished with seven hits, but the Bears were able to plate two runs. In the first inning, Kevin Medrano hit a one-out triple and then scored on a ground ball from Shaun Cooper. With one out in the sixth the Bears added an insurance run, as Jimmy Comerota reached on a single, stole second, advanced to third on a groundout, and Danny Poma singled to drive in the first baseman.
Poma led the offense with a 3-for-3 performance that featured a run batted in and a stolen base from the number nine spot in the order. Medrano's triple was his second of the season, putting him among the league leaders.
The Bears are now 4-4 this season and still alone in first place in Northwest League's East Division. Monday the Bears play the first of three games at Tri-City. First pitch is scheduled for 7:15. Right-handed pitcher Blake Perry will make his first 2012 start for Yakima, while lefty Roberto Padilla is expected to take the hill for the Dust Devils.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from June 24, 2012
- Bears Shutout Volcanoes in Rubber Match to Take Series - Yakima Bears
- Sox Fall To Indians, 11-2 - Everett AquaSox
- Better Late Than Never; C's Rally In Extras For 3-2 Win - Vancouver Canadians
- Kim Brilliant as AquaSox Beat Indians in Game Two - Everett AquaSox
- Sox Beat Indians 6-3 in First Game of Doubleheader - Everett AquaSox
- Vancouver strikes early and often in 7-4 win over Dust Devils on Saturday - Vancouver Canadians
- Three-run eighth puts Volcanoes in front for good - Yakima Bears
- Emeralds earn 5-4 victory over the Hawks - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.