BayHawks Surge Past Spurs
ERIE, PA - The Erie BayHawks (19-22), NBA G League affiliate of the Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club, took down the Austin Spurs (17-25), 129-115 tonight inside Erie Insurance Arena.
Cat Barber notched his third double-double in four games, finishing with a game-high 29 points, to go along with a career-high tying 12 assists, seven rebounds and a game-high tying three steals in 39.2 minutes. Barber has dished out 12 assists in five games throughout his career, which include three of his last four contests.
Jeremy Hollowell finished with 20 points on 8-11 (.723) shooting from the floor, including a 2-4 (.500) clip from three-point territory, a team-high tying eight rebounds, three assists, one steal and a game-high tying two blocks in 27.2 minutes as a reserve. Jaylen Morris registered 20 points on 7-12 (.583) shooting, including a 2-3 (.667) mark from deep, four rebounds, five assists and one steal in 38.6 minutes.
Erie held advantages in points in the paint (66-50), fast break points (20-13) and steals (11-7). The BayHawks scored 129 points on .540 (47-87) shooting from the field, including a .462 (12-26) mark from three-point territory.
The Spurs were led by John Holland's 26 points on 8-15 (.533) shooting from the floor. In addition to his team-high 26 points, Holland notched six rebounds, two assists and a game-high tying three steals in 38.2 minutes. Travis Trice II registered a double-double tonight, finishing with 17 points, a team-high 10 assists and five rebounds in 36.5 minutes of play. DeJuan Blair led all bench scoring tonight, pouring in 21 points on 8-14 (.571) shooting, to go along with six rebounds, four assists and two steals in 22.5 minutes.
After being knotted up at 19 at the 5:14 mark of the opening quarter, Erie would finish the first frame on a 14-7 run. Heading into the second quarter, the BayHawks notched a 33-26 advantage. Erie built a 16-point, 45-29, lead with 7:59 left to play in the opening half off of a Kameron Chatman jump shot. However, Austin would climb its way back to hold a 63-61 advantage after 24 minutes of action.
Erie edged Austin, 34-30, in the third quarter. Heading into the final frame, the BayHawks held a slim two-point, 95-93, lead. Chatman knocked down a jump shot to give Erie a 10-point, 114-104, lead with 5:21 left to play in regulation. The BayHawks would maintain pace throughout the rest of the fourth quarter, eventually walking away with a 129-115 victory.
The BayHawks will play their next two games inside the friendly confines of Erie Insurance Arena, beginning on Friday, March 8 against the Grand Rapids Drive at 7 p.m. Capital City will make its second trip to Erie on Sunday, March 10, with tipoff set for 3 p.m. Tickets can be found online at eriebayhawks.com or at the Erie Insurance Arena box office.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 5, 2019
- BayHawks Surge Past Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Dwayne Bacon Propels Greensboro Past Capital City - Greensboro Swarm
- BayHawks Surge Past Spurs - Erie BayHawks
- Hustle Face Colossal Back-To-Back on the Road with Major Playoff Implications - Memphis Hustle
- Skyforce Acquires Jarrett Jack - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- San Antonio Recalls Lonnie Walker IV from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz Warriors - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hornets Assign Bacon and Graham to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers Acquire Jordan Adams - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stars Open Homestand with Win over Raptors - Salt Lake City Stars
- Blue Coats Sweep Away Mad Ants for Season - Delaware Blue Coats
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.