Barons slip past Stars
HUNTSVILLE, ALA. - Caleb Gindl's three-run shot in the bottom of the eighth wasn't enough to put the Stars (23-25) past the Birmingham Barons (16-31) in a 8-6 final Friday night at Joe Davis Stadium.
The Barons got an early lead on Stars starter Mark Rogers (2-4), putting two runs on board in the top of the first inning. The Stars would answer with a run of their own in the bottom of the second. Mat Gamel opening the second half of the inning with a walk. Three batters later, Chris Errecart hit a double to left field, scoring Gamel.
Stars reliever Donovan Hand came in for Rogers in the sixth inning. He gave up a single to Brent Morel, followed by a strikeout and a walk. A double by Tyler Kuhn gave the Barons a cushy 4-1 lead. John Shelby III made it 5-1 with a single to deep shortstop. A wild pitch by Hand would bring in another run before the inning was over.
A pair of doubles from Lee Haydel and Gamel would give the Stars a run in the bottom of the inning. Then, they rallied. With Joe Torres replacing Barons pitcher Henry Mabee in the bottom of the eighth, Brett Lawrie and Zelous Wheeler drew walks. Caleb Gindl stepped to the plate and hit a 3-run bomb with one out to make it 8-6. Unfortunately a ground out and fly out would end the inning before the Stars could add any more runs.
Stars starter Rogers went five innings, giving up just two runs on three hits. He walked three and struck out four. Three relievers came in to close out the game. Hand, Nick Green and Jim Henderson combined for the final four innings, allowing four earned runs on eight hits.
The Stars and Barons face off again tomorrow night for game four of the five-game series. Stars ace Amaury Rivas will take the mound against the Barons' Jhonny Nunez. Game time is scheduled for 6 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 29, 2010
- Barons defeat Stars - Huntsville Stars
- Early Runs Enough as Smokies Blank Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies Even Biscuits Series with 3-0 Win - Tennessee Smokies
- Gordon, Bastardo Lead Lookouts Past Suns - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- BayBears, M-Braves Soaked in Mobile - Mobile BayBears
- Jaxx Power Past Mudcats To Even Series - Jackson Generals
- West Tenn Doubles up Carolina 4-2 - Carolina Mudcats
- Dominguez Promoted To Tacoma, Haveman To West Tenn - Jackson Generals
- Denove Promoted, Mesoraco to Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Barons slip past Stars - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.