Ballers win opening game
Southwestern, MI. The ABA Twin City Ballers opened the 2006-2007 season with a 117-110 home win against the Peoria Kings. This marks an historic day in Benton Harbor-St. Joseph history as well as an historic day in the life of Sidney and Stella Brooks, owners of the Twin City Ballers. "I knew that this was a good thing from the start and tonight the fans and the team did not disappoint either of us; we are so happy for the community," stated Brooks.
The game was filled with what seems to be a Twin City Baller trait defense and dunks. After starting the game slowly, the Ballers trailed after the first quarter 32-31 before taking a small lead going into halftime 60-59. The start of the second half was Twin City Ballers basketball going on a 14-2 run with defensive stops and dunks that electrified the crowd and paced a 117-110 victory for the expansion team. "This has been a dream come true," added GM Corey Sterling.
The Ballers had four players in double figures. Derrick McDonald led the team with 25, Benton Harbor native Corey Childs had 24, Quinell Brown 23 and 12 rebounds and Keith Hampton had 17. Benton Harbor native Perntice McGruder led the team with 13 assists. The Kings were led by Julian Gorens with 23 and Michael Stewart with 17.
The Ballers will return home and host the expansion Minnesota Ripknees Sat, Nov 11. Tip off is set for 705. Tickets can be purchased online or at the box office on game day. For more information, visit www.twincityballers.com or www.abalive.com.
Note: OurSports Central no longer actively covers the American Basketball Association (ABA) as a professional league due in part to its inability to publish and play a schedule and the transitory nature of many of its teams. For information on professional minor leagues, please see OSC's basketball section.
• Discuss this story on the American Basketball Association message board...
American Basketball Association Stories from November 7, 2006
- Coming week for Arkansas RiverCatz - Arkansas Rivercatz
- Noise sign pair of swing players to solidify team - Knoxville Noise
- Ballers win opening game - Twin City Ballers
- Mississippi Miracles Victorious in Opening Game - Mississippi Miracles
- ABA's King County Royals sign first four players - King County Royals
- Creditors Interchange buys out all Silverbacks tickets in salute to Mayor Brown - Buffalo Silverbacks
- Coming week for Arkansas Aeros - Arkansas Aeros
- Ballers announce team roster - Twin City Ballers
- Nighthawks victorious in season opener - Maryland NightHawks
- Noise sign their own version of 'Twin Towers' - Knoxville Noise
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.