Axel Bergkvist Signs OHL Standard Player Agreement
Swedish defenceman Axel Bergkvist has committed to an Ontario Hockey League standard player agreement with the Kitchener Rangers.
The second-round, 95th selection, in the 2019 CHL Import Draft was a member of Leksand's IF J20 SuperElit squad in 2018-19. He tallied 12 goals and 21 points with a plus/minus rating of +16 in 23 regular season games played. As a member of Leksands IF in the Allsvenskan league he tallied 3 goals, 7 assists for a total of 10 points in 36 games played.
"It's a real honour to play for the Kitchener Rangers," said Bergkvist, adding that making the move to Canada "is the biggest step in my hockey career."
"I've heard a lot of good things about the organization and excited to get going."
The 19-year-old, who was selected by the Arizona Coyotes in the 7th round, 200th overall at the 2019 NHL Draft, described himself as a "calm defenceman who likes to handle the puck, reads the play well and has a pretty good shot."
General Manager Mike McKenzie provided a similar assessment while describing how "we felt very excited to be able to add Axel to our team and want to welcome him to the Rangers."
"He is an NHL drafted player that has an elite shot and very good offensive instincts," said McKenzie.
"Axel will be a huge part of our team this season and we look forward to seeing him in a Kitchener Rangers uniform."
Hometown: InsjÃ¶n, SWE
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from August 1, 2019
- Niagara IceDogs Import Draft Selection Giancarlo Chanton Commits - Niagara IceDogs
- OHL 20 in 20 Summer Spotlight: Brahaney Embracing Leadership Role in Kingston - Kingston Frontenacs
- Axel Bergkvist Signs OHL Standard Player Agreement - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kitchener Rangers Stories
- 6,646 Meals Provided from Fill the Rangers Bus Event
- Kitchener Rangers 2020 NHL Draft Recap
- Kitchener Rangers Launch Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) Program
- Calgary Flames Name Rangers Alum Geoff Ward as Head Coach
- Joe McDonnell Gets "Another CrackÃ¢ÂÂ at Winning his Fifth Stanley Cup