Aumont Breaks Another Can-Am League Record in 15-0 Complete Game Win over Jackals
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Champions put up two five-run innings on Sunday afternoon en route to a dominating 15-0 win over the New Jersey Jackals to complete the series sweep.
Phillippe Aumont threw his fifth complete game of the season for the Champions, and in the process set a Can-Am League record for most strikeouts in a season with 131.
Aumont tossed one of his stingiest games of the campaign, striking out nine and allowing just five hits with no earned runs and one walk.
This is the second Can-Am League record the Gatineau native has broken this season, crushing the single-game record for strikeouts earlier in the year with a staggering 18.
Offensively, the Champions bats were busy. Michael Baca, who is now on a five-game hitting streak, led the way for Ottawa, going 4-for-5 with a double and three RBI. Malik Collymore went 3-for-4 with a home run and Brian Portelli had four RBI and a homer himself.
After a scoreless first inning, the Champions exploded for five runs in the second and followed up with three runs over the next two innings before putting up another five-spot in the fifth. They would add two more runs in the eighth just for good measure, but New Jersey just couldn't find a way to get anything going off Aumont.
Aumont got himself out of an early jam in the top of the second, striking out Rylan Sandoval with runners on second and third to end the inning.
The Champions, who have now won four of their last five games, have the day off tomorrow before they head to Québec to face the Capitales for a three-game series. Then, they travel to New Jersey to face the Jackals again for another three games.
Finally, Ottawa finishes off the regular season at home with a three-game set against the Rockland Boulders and a four-game series against the Capitales.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Can-Am League Game Recaps - Can-Am
- Boulders Fall 8-6 to Sussex County - New York Boulders
- Aumont Breaks Another Can-Am League Record in 15-0 Complete Game Win over Jackals - Ottawa Champions
- Champions Jump to Early Lead and Double up Jackals - New Jersey Jackals
- Ottawa Downs Jackals in Game Two of Series - New Jersey Jackals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa Champions Stories
- Baca Walks off Capitales to Give Champions 5-4 Victory in Final Game of 2019
- Aumont and Brown Take Home Can-Am League All-Star Honours
- Malik Collymore Ties Can-Am Record for Stolen Bases in a Season But Champions Lose 9-4
- Aumont Tosses Sixth Complete Game of the Year as Champions Down Capitales 2-1
- Champions Pitching Shuts Down Boulders in 5-3 Victory