Atlanta United 2 Signs Ben Lundgaard
ATLANTA - Atlanta United 2 today announced it has signed goalkeeper Ben Lundgaard.
"Ben comes to us after playing for one of the top independent clubs in USL and we are sure he is going to be a top-performer," said ATL UTD 2 head coach Stephen Glass. "Our goalkeeping staff are excited to work with him and push him to reach his full potential."
Lundgaard, 24, joins ATL UTD 2 after playing for Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC in 2019 where he was on loan from Columbus Crew SC. He made four starts and kept two clean sheets in wins against Louisville City and Hartford Athletic. The 6-foot-6 goalkeeper was drafted by the Crew with the 21st overall pick in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft and spent the 2018 season on loan with Indy Eleven.
Originally from Wilmington, Delaware, Lundgaard played four seasons at Virginia Tech where he made 70 appearances and registered 23 shutouts, the second-most in program history. In his senior 2017 season, Lundgaard was named to the First Team All-Atlantic Coast Conference after leading the conference in saves and posting six shutouts.
Lundgaard also spent time with New York Red Bulls U-23s in the Premier Development League, now known as USL League Two, and was named the 2017 PDL Goalkeeper of the Year after making 13 appearances and allowing just 10 goals.
Name: Ben Lundgaard
Birthdate: Sept. 25, 1995 (age: 24)
Birthplace: Wilmington, Delaware
Previous Club: Columbus Crew SC
Acquired: Signed by ATL UTD 2 on Jan. 27, 2020
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 27, 2020
- Atlanta United 2 Signs Ben Lundgaard - Atlanta United 2
- Orange County SC Launches the Orange County Soccer Club Community Foundation - Orange County SC
- RGV FC Announces 2020 Preseason Schedule - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Independence Pick up Championship All-Time Leading Scorer - Charlotte Independence
- Ockford, Bone Look to Add to LouCity's Strength - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.