Atlanta United 2 Falls 1-0 to Indy Eleven
September 28, 2022 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) - Atlanta United 2 News Release
KENNESAW, Ga. - Atlanta United 2 fell to Indy Eleven 1-0 Wednesday night at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. Sixteen-year-old Atlanta United Academy goalkeeper Nash Skoglund made his professional debut between the posts, making six saves on the night.
Indy opened up the scoring in the 23rd minute. On a corner kick, an Atlanta defender headed the ball out to the edge of the penalty area. Robert Dambrot patiently waited for the ball to come down and hit his shot first time past Skoglund.
In the 37th minute, Darwin Matheus took a clever touch off his head and battled off the defender before putting a cross into the box. The pass was inch perfect to the back post but Tristan Trager put his shot just wide.
Toni Tiente was inches away from scoring his first professional goal on a 65th-minute corner, heading an opportunity just over the crossbar.
Atlanta never gave up in its search for an equalizer. In the 84th minute, Luke Brennan switched the field of play to the other wing for Raimar. The Brazilian sent in a shorter cross into the box for his countryman Nick Firmino, who headed wide of Tim Trilk's left post.
ATL UTD 2 (5-22-5, 20 points) travels to Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California to take on LA Galaxy II on Oct. 8. (10:30 p.m., ESPN+).
Atlanta 0, Indy 1
Fifth Third Bank Stadium
Shots: 16-14 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 7-2 Indy
Corner kicks: 5-4 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 12-9 Atlanta
Offsides: 1-0 Atlanta
Possession: 53-47 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 86-81 Atlanta
IND - Robert Dambrot 23' (unassisted)
ATL - Toni Tiente 28' (yellow)
IND - Ecris Revolorio 40' (yellow)
ATL - Erik Centeno 56' (yellow)
ATL - Alan Carleton 88' (yellow)
ATL UTD 2 STARTING LINEUP
Nash Skoglund; Bryce Washington, Noah Cobb © (Andrew De Gannes - 90+1), Nelson Orji (Efrain Morales - 21'); Erik Centeno (Alan Carleton - 72'), Toni Tiente, Nick Firmino, Darwin Matheus (Luke Brennan - 62'), Raimar; Tristan Trager, Jackson Conway.
Substitutes not used: Kyle Jansen, Emenike Nwogu, Ajani Fortune.
INDY ELEVEN STARTING LINEUP
Tim Trilk; Ecris Revolorio (Jared Timmer - HT), Mechack Jerome, A.J. Cochran, Robert Dambrot; Justin Ingram © (Neveal Hackshaw - 87'), Sam Brown, Alexander McQueen, Raul Aguilera (Ayoze Garcia - 76'); Wilfredo Rivera (Juan Tejada - 76'), Manuel Arteaga.
Substitutes not used: Hayden Vostal, Solomon Asante, Stefano Pinho.
Alyssa Nichols (referee), Eduardo Jeff (assistant), Art Arustamyan (assistant), Sergii Demianchuk (fourth official)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 28, 2022
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 1-0 to Indy Eleven - Atlanta United 2
- Rowdies vs Monterey Bay Postponed to October 2 - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- MBFC Home Finale at Cardinale Stadium Rescheduled to Sunday - Monterey Bay FC
- Red Bulls II Academy Check-In: September - New York Red Bulls II
- Phoenix Rising Travels to Northern California to Face Sacramento Republic FC - Phoenix Rising FC
- Legion Player Awarded First U.S. Soccer Coaching Scholarship - Birmingham Legion FC
- Kwik Goal Awards Birmingham Legion FC's Ryan James U.S. Soccer Coaching License Scholarship - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United 2 Stories
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 3-2 in Season Opener vs. New England Revolution II
- Atlanta United 2 Announces 2023 Roster Ahead of First Season in MLS NEXT Pro
- Atlanta United 2 Signs Defender Fuad Adeniyi
- Atlanta United 2 Signs Midfielder Alan Carleton
- Atlanta United 2 to Debut in MLS NEXT Pro, Announces 2023 Regular Season Schedule