Asia's Top Teams to Compete in the Second Edition of the Pan-Pacific Championship
NEW YORK & LOS ANGELES (Friday, January 9, 2009) - Four premier professional soccer clubs, including three of Asia's current champions, will participate in the second edition of the Pan-Pacific Championship (PPC), the international soccer tournament launched last year by Soccer United Marketing (SUM). The tournament will be played at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. on Wednesday, February 18 and Saturday, February 21, 2009, in a two-date semifinal and final doubleheader format.
For 2009, the tournament will move to the U.S. mainland, with Major League Soccer's LA Galaxy hosting the marquee event just outside of Los Angeles. In addition to the host team, the tournament will feature the best clubs from Japan, Korea, and China - J.League's Yamazaki Nabisco Cup Champion Oita Trinita, K-League champion and winner of the Samsung Hauzen Cup 2008 Suwon Samsung Bluewings, and Chinese Super League winner Shandong Luneng Taishan FC.
The tournament will kick off on Wednesday, February 18, at 5:30 p.m. local time with Suwon Samsung Bluewings (Korea) taking on Shandong Luneng (China) in the opener, followed by the LA Galaxy (USA) hosting Oita Trinita (Japan). The two winners will battle for the Pan-Pacific Championship 2009 on Saturday, February 21, preceded by the third-place match, starting at 5:30 p.m. local time.
The inaugural 2008 championship, which was embraced by soccer fans worldwide, was won by 2007 Japanese Nabisco Cup champions Gamba Osaka after defeating 2007 MLS champion Houston Dynamo in the final at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu. The 2007 SuperLiga finalist LA Galaxy defeated Australia's Sydney FC of the Hyundai A-League to capture third place.
Tickets for the Pan-Pacific Championship 2009 will be available starting Monday, January 12 at 10 am PT by calling the LA Galaxy at 877-3GALAXY. Fans are encouraged to visit the tournament's official website, www.PPChampionship.net for further information.
Pan-Pacific Championship 2009 - Schedule (All times local)
Wednesday, February 18
5:30 p.m. Suwon Samsung Bluewings (Korea) vs. Shandong Luneng Taishan FC (China)
8:00 p.m. LA Galaxy (USA) vs. Oita Trinita (Japan)
Saturday, February 21
5:30 p.m. Third place match
8:00 p.m. Championship match
Information on the different teams can be found below.
Major League Soccer (USA)
The two-time MLS Cup winners, LA Galaxy, will look to improve upon their third place finish from the inaugural Pan-Pacific Championship in 2008. Under the direction of former U.S. National Team Coach Bruce Arena, who led the U.S. to a Quarterfinal berth at the 2002 FIFA World Cup in Japan/Korea, the Galaxy will look to start 2009 on the right foot by hosting and winning the second installment of the PPC.
Branded the miracle team of the J.League, Oita Trinita managed to win the Cup title with one of the lowest budgets in the first division thanks to the "Chamusca magic" tactics (named after Head Coach Péricles Raimundo Oliveira Chamusca), and its emphasis on youth development. Two Oita players represented Japan at the Beijing Olympics, and their standout 19-year-old, Mu Kanazaki, has already been called up to the senior squad.
Suwon Samsung Bluewings
Suwon Samsung Bluewings will look to its coaching, led by Korean legend Cha Bum-Kun, the first Korean to play in the Bundesliga. A number of Bluewing players count on World Cup experience, including Lee Chun-Soo, the Korean side's star player, who represented his country at the 2006 edition.
Shandong Luneng Taishan FC
Chinese Super League
Nicknamed the "Real Madrid of China", Shandong Luneng has dominated their opponents thanks to talents like Li Jinyu, who scored his 110th goal this year and will look to put his mark on this year's Pan-Pacific Championship by adding even more to his account.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 9, 2009
- Paul Bravo Named Rapids Technical Director - Colorado Rapids
- Crew acquires conditional 2010 pick from L.A. in exchange for Miglioranzi - Columbus Crew SC
- David Tenney Named Sounders FC Fitness Coach - Seattle Sounders FC
- Asia's Top Teams to Compete in the Second Edition of the Pan-Pacific Championship - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Midfielder Continues Charitable works in the Off-Season - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Renews Cuauhtemoc Blanco Contract For 2009 Season - Chicago Fire
- United team-up with NBC 4 Health & Fitness Expo - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy to Host Fan Appreciation Day on October 28 at StubHub Center During Final MLS Regular Season Match
- Rose Bowl Stadium to Host Inaugural Matchday of the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup on June 15
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Sporting KC 1 - Saturday, October 6, 2018
- Rolf Feltscher Called up to Venezuelan National Team for International Friendlies
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0