Argonauts Extend Contract of Special Teams Coordinator Mickey Donovan
TORONTO - The Toronto Argonauts Football Club announced today the team has extended the contract of Special Teams Coordinator Mickey Donovan.
Donovan, in his second season with Toronto, has coached a special teams unit that leads the CFL in return touchdowns (4), field goal percentage (92%), punt return average (15.0), kickoff average (72.5), blocked kicks (2) and hasn't allowed a return touchdown all season. Donovan's unit has accounted for 10 big play returns (punt returns over 30 yards and kick returns over 40), good for second best in the league and the team's punting average of 47.9 also ranks second. The New Hampshire native has RB/RET Javon Leake in the conversation for Most Outstanding Special Teams Player and K Boris Bede having one of the best seasons of his eight-year career. It was Donovan's special teams that helped win the Grey Cup last season as Robbie Smith blocked a potential game-winning field goal attempt at the end of the game.
Prior to joining the Double Blue, Donovan served as special teams coordinator for Montreal from 2018-2021. He would coach his alma mater, Concordia, from 2014-2017 and was a defensive coordinator and assistant head coach for McGill University from 2012-2013.
"Mickey's special teams have been a huge positive for us this year, week in and week out" said Argos Head Coach Ryan Dinwiddie. "He's a great coach, a phenomenal motivator and is able to get the best out of his guys on a daily basis. We're happy to keep him in Toronto."
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from September 19, 2023
- BC Lions Proud to Bring Message of Truth and Reconciliation in Third Annual Orange Shirt Day Game September 29 - B.C. Lions
- Argonauts Extend Contract of Special Teams Coordinator Mickey Donovan - Toronto Argonauts
- Lions Sign American Linebacker John Petrishen to Practice Squad - B.C. Lions
- Hamilton Sports Group Continues Ongoing Commitment for Truth and Reconciliation - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- CFL Honour Roll: Week 15 - Mauldin, Crum and Elks' O-Line Make the Grade - CFL
- 110th Grey Cup Playoff Scenarios - Week 16 - CFL
- RedBlacks Add Two to Practice Roster - Ottawa RedBlacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Argonauts Stories
- Argos Legends Join Fans in Two Weeks at BMO Field to Celebrate Franchise's 150th Anniversary
- Double Blue Extend Contract of General Manager Michael "Pinball" Clemons
- Argonauts Extend Contract of Special Teams Coordinator Mickey Donovan
- Argos Clinch First Place in East Division for Third Consecutive Season
- Boatmen Add DB Benjie Franklin to Practice Roster