Anaheim Arsenal Names Larry Smith as Head Coach
Anaheim, CA-- Larry Smith, a 26-year NBA veteran as a player and coach, has been named the first head coach of the NBA Development League's Anaheim Arsenal.
Smith joins the Arsenal with plenty of championship experience, having been involved in title seasons at both the NBA and NBA Development League levels. Most recently, Smith was the assistant coach in Albuquerque when the Thunderbirds won the 2005-06 championship. He also spent 11 seasons as an assistant coach with the Houston Rockets, a period that included back-to-back titles in 1993-94 and 1994-95. Smith's coaching career also includes one season each with the Atlanta Hawks and Los Angeles Lakers as an assistant.
"I am excited about being the head coach of the Arsenal and I look forward to creating a winning team on the floor and in the community," Smith said.
Arsenal majority owner Louise Jones commented, "We are thrilled that Coach Smith will lead the Arsenal during our inaugural season. We know that with his knowledge and experience, he will field a championship-caliber team."
As a player, Smith had a 13-year NBA career which included nine seasons with Golden State, three in Houston, and one with San Antonio. As a second round draft pick in 1980, he earned All-Rookie team honors and went on to see action in 883 NBA contests. Smith finished with a career average of 9.2 rebounds per game.
"He's been an exceptional player and coach at the NBA level," said Mike Dunleavy, head coach of the Los Angeles Clippers. "I have nothing but the utmost respect for his work ethic and I look forward to having a great working relationship with him"
Added Clipper guard Sam Cassell, who was a member of Houston's consecutive NBA titles, "I think Larry is a great coach for this job. He's a hard worker and definitely has a way of getting his point across, especially to younger players."
Smith and his wife Belinda have three children; Larry Jr., Tiffany and Torri.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from July 18, 2006
- Stampede release NBA development league schedule - Idaho Stampede
- Toros Announce 2006-07 Schedule - Austin Spurs
- Skyforce releases 2006-07 schedule - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Thunderbirds announce home schedule - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Tulsa 66ers Release 06-07 Schedule - Tulsa 66ers
- Colorado 14ers, NBA D-League Unveil 2006-07 Schedule - Colorado 14ers
- All-Star Game as part of NBA All-Star Weekend highlights D-League schedule - G League
- Stampede release NBA Development League schedule - Idaho Stampede
- Anaheim Arsenal Names Larry Smith as Head Coach - Anaheim Arsenal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.