An Inferno of Home Runs Lead to AirHogs' Victory
Grand Prairie- After the seven-game road trip the Grand Prairie AirHogs (32-29) made their way home for a three-game series with the El Paso Diablos and started the first game with a bang winning 12-5 at QuikTrip Park Tuesday night. Jumping to an early 2-0 lead it looked like it might be all Diablos. But that all changed on one swing from Andres Rodriguez's bat. In the bottom of the third inning all with two outs the AirHogs were able to score six runs. Rian Kiniry after getting on base with a single and making it to third off a Ryan Pineda single was driven in by Brandon Pinckney. The next batter Brian Myrow was walked loading the bases. Rodriguez, with two strikes, takes the ball deep over the left field fence for a grand slam and his 10th home run of the year. Palmer Karr Jr. followed suit and hit his second home run of the year the very next at bat. Also going deep in the game was Kenny Held, his second.
Pineda, Kiniry, and Angel Flores all went 3-for-4 in the game. Pineda and Kiniry scored three times and Flores scored once. Myrow went 2-for-3 with four RBI's and scored once. It was a flurry of offense for the AirHogs as they combined for 15 hits.
Picking up the win was Derek Blacksher, who went six innings allowing four runs on nine hits. Blacksher struck out five Diablos. Pitching the seventh and eighth was Jakob Cunningham who gave up only one run on two hits, also striking out one. Closing the game was David Quinowski who allowed one hit but no runs. Quinowski added another strikeout to the AirHogs seven as a team.
Game 2 of the three-game series will begin Wednesday night at 7:05 P.M. at QuikTrip Park. Expected to be the pitching matchup is Carlos Teller for the Diablos and Jared Mortensen for the AirHogs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 23, 2013
- Seven-Run Third Catapults Redhawks To 7-5 Victory - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Carroll Contract Sold to D-Backs - Laredo Lemurs
- T-Bones Blast Past Lemurs - Kansas City T-Bones
- An Inferno of Home Runs Lead to AirHogs' Victory - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Ramon Pushes Goldeyes Back to .500 - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Birds Lose Late Lead in Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RailCats Shutout Explorers 1-0 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Aigles Get Big Seventh to Take Inter-League Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Can't Hold Five Run Lead, Lose 7-5 to RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts and Sox Suspended Due to Storm - Wichita Wingnuts
- Homestand Highlights: July 23 - August 1 - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- A Call To Arms: Saints Add Bryan Henry And Former Saint Jon Plefka To Bullpen - St. Paul Saints
- Papa John's to Present Inaugural Championship Week - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 23rd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs