Americans Battle for Overtime Win against Chiefs
The Americans travelled to Spokane today for their final matchup against the Chiefs this season. Sam Huo scored in overtime to secure a 4-3 win for the Americans. With tonight's victory the Americans complete their season series against the Chiefs with a 3-2-0-0 record.
Tyson Greenway put the Americans on the board first tonight as he scored off a rebound 5:56 into the game. Two of Greenway's three goals this season have came in the past two games.
Adam Beckman replied with a power play goal for the Chiefs halfway through the period to tie the game. Two minutes later Graham Sward followed with another goal to give the Chiefs their first lead of the night heading into the first intermission.
Spokane held their one-goal lead for most of the second period. Connor Bouchard capitalized on a power play for the Americans 14:18 into the period. His goal came just four seconds into the man-advantage as he received the puck straight off a faceoff from Sam Huo and drove straight to the net making a move past the Spokane goaltender.
The Chiefs once again regained the lead as Luke Toporowski scored his first goal of the WHL season since recently returning to Spokane from the USHL.
Sam Huo replied for the Americans just two minutes later to tie the game for the final time this evening. Huo scored with a one-timer from the right slot off a pass from Connor Bouchard with 7:13 remaining in regulation.
The game carried into overtime where the Americans have excelled this season with three wins in three overtime appearances.
Sam Huo was the overtime hero tonight. The 19-year-old forward scored the game-winning goal off an odd-man rush assisted by Sasha Mutala. It was Huo's ninth goal of the season and second overtime winner.
The Americans return home with back-to-back road wins tomorrow. They will take on the Portland Winterhawks at 7:05 at the Toyota Center.
Score: 4-3 TC - OT
Shots: 29-27 TC
Because the Americans won on the road (AND scored on the power play tonight!) our fans get free Jack in the Box back home! Show the below coupon at our local Kennewick Jack in the Box.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 5, 2021
- Anders Has Nothing But Fond Memories of His Time with the Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Game Preview: Americans Return Home to Face Winterhawks with Two Straight Road Wins - Tri-City Americans
- Parker Berge Takes Home Scholastic Player of the Year Award - Regina Pats
- Gauthier, Cougars Stop Rockets - Prince George Cougars
- Rebels Close out Season with OT Loss to Visiting Hitmen - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans Battle for Overtime Win against Chiefs - Tri-City Americans
- Cougars Down Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: May 5 - Portland Winterhawks
- Williams Scores Twice as Oil Kings Win in OT; Officially Crowned Division Champions - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Kydd Tallies in OT to Lift Hitmen in Finale - Calgary Hitmen
- Edmonton Oil Kings Claim 2020-21 WHL Central Division Championship Trophy - WHL
- Americans Claim 4-3 OT Victory in Chiefs' Home Finale - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.