Ambassadors End Skid, Rout Spirit, 11-2
The Allentown Ambassadors scored four runs both the bottom of the sixth and eighth innings, propelling them to an 11-2 victory over the North Shore Spirit Sunday afternoon in Allentown.
The Spirit got out to a 2-0 lead off Ambassador starter Chris Kelly. North Shore got a solo home run from Carlos Sepulveda in the second, and added another in the third.
The Ambassadors responded in the bottom of the fourth inning, when Greg Schmidt hit his first home run of the season, a two run shot to left-center, to tie the game. The Ambassadors added another run in the bottom of the fifth on back-to-back two outs doubles by Cedrick Harris and Jorge Diaz.
Then in the sixth inning, after starter Bryan Morse had gotten the first two out, he hit Schmidt, then Brian Macchi singled. Schuyler Doakes followed with an RBI single, then Julio Acosta cleared the bases with a two RBI double. Cedrick Harris kept it going with an RBI single of his own, but he was caught stealing to end the inning.
Meanwhile Ambassador starter Kelly was on cruise control. He retired the last thirteen men he faced, and finished with seven and two thirds innings pitched, allowing two runs on four hits with two walks and three strikeouts. It was his first appearance of the season for the Ambassadors.
The Ambassadors tacked on four more in the bottom of the eighth off Jeremy Sugarman. Schmidt again got the inning going with a single, followed by another Macchi singled. Doakes bunted the two over, and Acosta drove in Schmidt with a single. Harris followed up with a two RBI triple. Diaz then singled home Harris. Schmidt finished the game 3-3 with a home run, 3 runs scored, two RBI, and he was hit by a pitch. Harris was 3-4 with a single, double, and triple, two runs scored and three RBI. Acosta also had three runs driven in.
The win snapped a five game losing streak for the Ambassadors and improved their record to 13-19 this season. North Shore fell to 18-16 with the loss. It was Kelly's first win of the year, while Morse took his fourth loss. The Spirit did take two of three from the Ambassadors in the series. Quebec comes into town for a three game set starting tomorrow. It's Guarantee Win Night, so if the Ambassadors do not win and you are in attendance at the end of the game, you get a free general admission ticket to the next Ambassador home game.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from June 29, 2003
- Pride Outlast Bluefish, 11-9, Murray Homers Twice - American Defenders of New Hampshire
- Ambassadors End Skid, Rout Spirit, 11-2 - Allentown Ambassadors
- Big Inning Gives Black Bears Important Win Against Pioneers - Berkshire Black Bears
- Calvin Maduro Signs with Newark Bears - Newark Bears
- Bears Blank Road Warriors, 13-0 - Newark Bears
- Pride Take on Offerman, Bluefish in Series that Could Decide Division - American Defenders of New Hampshire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allentown Ambassadors Stories
- No Longer Living Here in Allentown
- Ambassadors Reorganize Front Office, Hire New Team President
- Ambassadors Add Merchandise Section to Website
- Ambassadors Attend Tamaqua High School Career Day
- Ambassadors Trade Greg Schmidt to Rox for Mike Davis, Fontella Jones