Ambassadors Blown Out by Jackals, 13-2
The Allentown Ambassadors fell behind 5-0 early, then allowed six runs to the New Jersey Jackals in the fifth, and New Jersey got 21 hits en route to a 13-2 win Saturday night in Allentown.
The Jackals got two in the first inning off Ambassador starter Nolan Fry. A Kevin Grijak sacrifice fly drove in John Anderson, who had singled to begin the game, and a Travis Bailey double drove in Darryl Brinkley to make it 2-0. Then in the third, Craig Conway would single with one out, followed by a single from Brinkley and a walk to Grijak. With the bases loaded Bailey came through again with a double, this time scoring two. Then Grijak scored on a Scott Samuels groundout to make it 5-0.
The Ambassadors would get two runs in the fourth inning off Jackal starter Aaron Myers, a Greg Schmidt single driving in Brian Macchi and a Jorge Diaz double to score Schmidt, but the Jackals exploded for six runs in the fifth. Conway, Brinkley, and Grijak all singled off Fry to load the bases. Fry then left the game with a shoulder injury. Joe Montgomery came in and struck out Bailey, but then three straight singles by Samuels, Scott McKee, and Chris Rowan drove in four and a double from Keith Maxwell added another run. The final run in the inning scored on a Conway fielder's choice, and the Jackals would send twelve men to the plate and load the bases three times in the inning. In all, the Jackals had the bases loaded six times in the game.
New Jersey would add two more runs in the eighth inning to make it 13-2. Anderson finished the game 4-6 with a run scored. Bailey was 4-5 with two doubles, three RBI and a run scored. Each Jackal starter had at least one hit and seven of them had at least two. Bailey and Samuels finished with three RBI a piece.
The loss is the fourth in a row for the Ambassadors, who fall to 12-21, five and half games behind the Jackals who are now 17-15. The win goes to Myers, who is now 8-6, while the loss goes to Fry who is 4-6. The game is the final game of the season between the two teams. New Jersey won the season series 8-5. The Ambassadors have tomorrow off then start the final homestand of the season on Monday with the first of three against the North Shore Spirit.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from August 16, 2003
- Ambassadors Blown Out by Jackals, 13-2 - Allentown Ambassadors
- Ducks Score Two in Ninth to Beat the Bears, 7-6 - Newark Bears
- Surf Take out Best Pitcher in the League, 4-1 - Atlantic City Surf
- Bears Reschedule Two Postponed Games - Newark Bears
- Buffett at the Ballpark Presented by Pine State Trading Company - Bangor Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allentown Ambassadors Stories
- No Longer Living Here in Allentown
- Ambassadors Reorganize Front Office, Hire New Team President
- Ambassadors Add Merchandise Section to Website
- Ambassadors Attend Tamaqua High School Career Day
- Ambassadors Trade Greg Schmidt to Rox for Mike Davis, Fontella Jones