Alphonso Davies, Kyle Greig Selected to USL Team of the Week After Record-Setting Performances
VANCOUVER, BC - Whitecaps FC 2 attacking duo Alphonso Davies and Kyle Greig were named to the USL Team of the Week after each had record-setting performances over the weekend, the league announced on Tuesday.
The pair combined to score three goals in the opening 21 minutes in the 4-3 win over then top-ranked LA Galaxy II last Sunday to vault WFC2 into first place in the Western Conference.
Greig got things started in the third minute, converting first-time on a nice setup from Marco Bustos and Kadin Chung. It was déjà vu in the 17th minute, with Greig once again tapping in a pass from the right, this time after some brilliant interplay between Daniel Haber and Matthew Baldisimo. The WFC2 captain now has seven goals in the season, tied for second in the USL, and has already matched the record for goals scored in a WFC2 uniform for the second-year team.
That passing tho
Bustos Chung Greig back of the net. #WFC2 #VWFC pic.twitter.com/lfVaSpEdmI
- Whitecaps FC 2 (@wfc2) May 15, 2016
Davies, 15, scored his first professional goal and made league history in the 21st minute as he became the youngest player ever to score in the USL. The midfielder from Edmonton telegraphed an errant Los Dos pass, then darted into in the box, and finished to help WFC2 jump to an early 3-0 lead.
.@AlphonsoDavies of @wfc2 is now the youngest player to ever score in the #USL! #VANvLAhttps://t.co/4uMi3pWeRK
- USL (@USL) May 15, 2016
Head coach Alan Koch's young and fast-improving side now has had eight different players selected to the USL Team of the Week, including one bench selection, eight weeks into their undefeated season.
Whitecaps FC 2 gun for their fourth straight win on Friday when they visit Timbers 2 to open the rivalry weekend between the two Pacific Northwest clubs. Kickoff at Providence Park is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Watch the match live on whitecapsfc2.com.
USL Team of the Week
GK - Mauricio Vargas, Pittsburgh Riverhounds: Vargas kept his side in the game against Cincinnati, recording eight saves, including several spectacular ones at Nippert Stadium.
D - Sam McBride, San Antonio FC: McBride put in a consistent performance throughout as San Antonio earned a point on the road against OKC Energy FC on Sunday night.
D - Nick Hagglund, Toronto FC II: Hagglund marshalled TFC II's back line well as the host took a big 1-0 win against the Richmond Kickers last Wednesday.
D - Michael Gallagher, Timbers 2: Gallagher put in a strong defensive shift on the road against Colorado Springs, and almost found a late equalizer for T2 in the USL Game of the Week on ESPN3.
M - George Davis IV, Louisville City FC: Davis scored his first goal for Louisville, and was a threat offensively all game as City took a 2-0 win against Saint Louis FC.
M - Maikel Chang, Charleston Battery: Chang had a goal and assist as the Battery defeated Toronto 2-0 on Saturday to add to his assist in Charleston's win against Harrisburg on Monday.
M - Alphonso Davies, Whitecaps FC 2: Davies became the youngest player to score in the USL's history at 15 years of age as WFC2 took a 4-3 win against the LA Galaxy II.
M - Jimmy McLaughlin, FC Cincinnati: McLaughlin had a standout performance in front of a record crowd at Nippert Stadium, and scored the lone goal in Cincinnati's win against Pittsburgh.
M - Tommy Thompson, Sacramento Republic FC: The San Jose Earthquakes loanee scored both goals as Sacramento earned a 2-0 victory against Seattle at a sold-out Bonney Field.
F - Kyle Greig, Whitecaps FC 2: Greig continued his hot streak with two goals on Sunday as WFC2 took a 4-3 win against the LA Galaxy II to remain undefeated.
F - Tyler Pasher, Swope Park Rangers: Pasher scored both goals, including a late winner, as the Rangers took a 2-1 victory against Tulsa Roughnecks FC.
Bench: Devala Gorrick (COS), Shawn Ferguson (CHS), Austin Martz (WIL), Mauro Manotas (RGV), Jose Villarreal (LA), Danni König (OKC), Cameron Lancaster (LOU)
This year, every Tier 1 'Caps Club MLS membership includes three open tickets to WFC2 matches. Members can select their matches and theme days online through Account Manager. Information on theme days is available at whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/themedays.
Youth season passes are also available for $30 all in. For more information contact email@example.com or call 604-484-7862.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 17, 2016
- San Antonio FC Forward Manolo Sanchez Named in Puerto Rico Squad for USA Friendly - San Antonio FC
- United Ready to Make Third U.S. Open Cup Appearance - Phoenix Rising FC
- Sacramento Republic FC Defender Emrah Klimenta Called up to Montenegro National Team - Sacramento Republic FC
- LouCity Hosts Detroit City FC in U.S. Open Cup 2nd Round - Louisville City FC
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC Hosts Corinthians FC in Second Round of U.S. Open Cup - San Antonio FC
- FCC Hosts Indy Eleven NPSL; Travels to Charlotte - FC Cincinnati
- Saint Louis FC Begins Cup Run Wednesday - Saint Louis FC
- GD4, Lancaster Earn Weekly Nod - Louisville City FC
- T2's Michael Gallagher Added to USL Team of the Week - Portland Timbers 2
- Alphonso Davies, Kyle Greig Selected to USL Team of the Week After Record-Setting Performances - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- Vargas Named to USL's Team of the Week - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Sacramento's Thompson Named USL Player of the Week - USL
- San Antonio FC Defender Sam McBride Named to USL Team of the Week - San Antonio FC
- Maikel Chang Named to USL Team of the Week - Charleston Battery
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs CD Aguiluchos USA - Sacramento Republic FC
- McLaughlin Grabs Spot on USL Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Powering Through the Season - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Hammerheads Prepare for First Match in the 2016 Open Cup - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Game Preview: Riverhounds vs Lansdowne Bhoys FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Kickers Host Aromas Cafe FC Wednesday - Richmond Kickers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.