Alouettes Sign Patrick Lavoie to Three-Year Extension
Montreal, December 4, 2012 - The Montreal Alouettes announced on Tuesday that the team has reached an agreement with non-import fullback Patrick Lavoie on a new three-year deal.
Lavoie (6'2, 240 lbs.), who was named the Alouettes' Most Outstanding Rookie in 2012, will now be under contract with Montreal through the 2015 season. The Alouettes' top draft pick of the 2012 CFL draft (11th overall), amassed 307 receiving yards - good for sixth on the team. His 33 receptions marked the most by an Alouettes rookie since Ben Cahoon caught the same in 1998.
The Laval Rouge et Or product also added four receiving touchdowns. Four of his first 12 career catches were for touchdowns including a game-winner in the dying moments against the Calgary Stampeders on July 12.
"When we drafted Patrick earlier this year, we knew what type of player we were getting and we were surprised, quite frankly, that he was still available in the second round," said Alouettes General Manager Jim Popp. "He has lived up to our expectations and played even more than we had anticipated. Off the field, he is exactly the kind of guy we want representing our organisation."
The 25-year-old native of Sainte-Flavie, QC dressed for 17 games in 2012 and played an integral role in the Alouettes' blocking schemes, opening holes for Montreal running backs while protecting quarterback Anthony Calvillo from sacks - opposing defences only reaching the veteran pivot 25 times on the season.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from December 4, 2012
- Alouettes Sign Patrick Lavoie to Three-Year Extension - Montreal Alouettes
- Esks Release Devin Tyler - Edmonton Eskimos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montreal Alouettes Stories
- Alouettes Add One, Release Four
- Alouettes Add 13 Players to Roster
- Montreal Alouettes to hold 2018 Spring Camp in Vero Beach, FL from April 16 to 18
- Linebacker Henoc Muamba Returns to the Alouettes
- Alouettes Sign Quarterback Justin Holman and Receiver Cameron Posey