Alfredo Figaro Named EL Pitcher of the Week
Erie SeaWolves right-handed starting pitcher Alfredo Figaro has been named the Eastern League Pitcher of the Week. The 6'0", 175 lb. hurler has made two starts for the SeaWolves this year and is 1-0 with nine strikeouts and a 0.00 ERA in 12.2 innings pitched.
Figaro, who is a native of Samana, Dominican Republic, made his Double-A debut against Altoona on April 10th at Jerry Uht Park and did not allow a run over 5.2 innings of work. He struck out four batters and walked one while earning a no-decision in the game, which Erie went on to win 2-0.
The 24-year old was even more impressive in his second start of the season on Thursday at Blair County Ballpark, not allowing a hit over seven scoreless innings while striking out five batters and walking three against the Curve. The bullpen lost the no-hitter with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning but held on for a 3-0 victory.
Figaro, who was named the right-handed starter on the 2008 Midwest League All-Star Team after posting a record of 12-2 with 96 strikeouts and a 2.05 ERA in 19 starts for the West Michigan White Caps, is currently tied for first in the league in ERA and ranked third in WHIP (0.71). Alfredo was signed by the Detroit Tigers as a minor league free agent on March 7, 2005.
Figaro will next take the mound on Tuesday night at Prince George's Stadium in game two of a doubleheader against the Bowie Baysox.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 20, 2009
- Fisher Cats and Defenders Monday night game suspended - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Defenders and Fisher Cats suspended in the 5th - Connecticut Defenders
- Monday's Curve Game Vs. Reading Postponed - Altoona Curve
- Rock Cats Rained Out Tonight - New Britain Rock Cats
- Altoona Curve Game Notes - Altoona Curve
- Aeros Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- Bowie Baysox Roster Move, 4/20/09 - Bowie Baysox
- Senators and Aeros Rained Out Monday Night - Harrisburg Senators
- Alfredo Figaro Named EL Pitcher of the Week - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs postponed in New Britain - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox Announce Food Allergy Awareness Night - Bowie Baysox
- Binghamton-Trenton Opener Postponed - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Tonight's Game Postponed - Erie SeaWolves
- Trenton And Binghampton Postponed On Monday Night - Trenton Thunder
- Baysox, SeaWolves Postponed - Bowie Baysox
- Eatern League Announces Weekly Award Winners - EL
- Eastern League Announces Weekly Award Winners - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.