AirHogs Sign Infielder Abel Nieves
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - The Grand Prairie AirHogs announced that the team has signed infielder Abel Nieves to a contract for the 2014 season.
Nieves led the American Association in batting last season with a .357 average for the Wichita Wingnuts. He was acquired in the offseason from the Wingnuts in exchange for pitcher Patrick Mincey. Nieves had five home runs and 51 RBI to go along with a .446 on base percentage in 99 games in 2013.
Nieves was drafted by the Anaheim Angels in the 50th round of the 2004 MLB Draft out of Middle Georgia College. The veteran played parts of three seasons with the Angels' Triple-A affiliate, the Salt Lake Bees.
In eight seasons of professional baseball, Nieves has a career batting average of .286.
The Grand Prairie AirHogs open the 2014 season on Thursday, May 15 at Wichita. The AirHogs home opener at QuikTrip Park is set for Monday, May 19 against the Lincoln Saltdogs at 7:05 p.m. Check back at the team's official website www.airhogsbaseball.com for any other off-season news as develops. For information on 2014 tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the website as well, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 2, 2014
- AirHogs Sign Infielder Abel Nieves - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- A Party in Lowertown, Saints to Host Annual World's Largest Game of Catch - St. Paul Saints
- Canaries Open Spring Training Tomorrow - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wingnuts to Open Camp on Saturday - Wichita Wingnuts
- Major Leaguer Abercrombie Signs On - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- XÃ¢ÂÂs Announce Spring Training Roster & Exhibition Schedule - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs