AirHogs Head to Wichita After Dropping Gary Finale
GARY, Ind. - The Texas AirHogs dropped the finale of the three-game set at U.S. Steel Yard on Wednesday, falling to the RailCats in walkoff fashion 3-2. Texas heads to Wichita to open a four-game set at Lawrence Dumont Stadium tomorrow vs. the Wingnuts.
The AirHogs got off to a good start vs. RailCats starter Alex Gunn, tagging him for a pair of runs in the first on a two-out, two-strike, two-RBI single by Chen Junpeng to score Dillon Thomas and Correlle Prime. The bats went quiet after the first against Gunn though, compiling just two more hits vs. the starter as he lasted through the seventh. Gunn would get a no-decision after retiring fourteen straight to end his evening.
Gan Quan got the ball as the starter for Texas and carried a no-hitter into the fifth. He was tagged there for a leadoff double by Reggie Wilson before surrendering a two-run home run to Will Savage that tied the game. He also got a no-decision after lasting five and allowing three hits and two runs (two earned).
Qi Xin and Sean Stutzman combined to hold the RailCats (25-25) scoreless in the sixth, seventh and eighth before the home team got to Yang Yanyong in the ninth. Gary catcher Wilfredo Gimenez began the ninth with a double to left. He was replaced on the basepaths by Garrett Copeland, who was sacrificed to third. He would eventually score by beating the throw to the plate on a walkoff groundball to second base by Cole Fabio.
The AirHogs left three aboard while the RailCats stranded eight. Texas, which wasted leadoff singles in the eighth and ninth by Li Ning and Thomas, outhit Gary 7-4.
Texas (14-35) travels to Wichita (30-20) to begin a four-game set at Lawrence Dumont. First pitch time is scheduled for 7:05. Starters for both teams are TBA. A live broadcast of the game will be available at mixlr.com/TXAirHogs.
The Texas AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles return home July 16 for a doubleheader vs. the Chicago Dogs. Tickets for all home games are available. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @TXAirHogs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 12, 2018
- Four Long Balls Carry Saints over T-Bones in the Series Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Seize Opener Behind Harman - Wichita Wingnuts
- Off on the Right Foot, Saints Power Their Way to 9-2 Victory over T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Acquire Former First-Rounder Herron - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- T-Bones Return Home for Four Game Weekend Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- T-Bones Bats Brush Aside Saltdogs in Three Game Sweep - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Head to Wichita After Dropping Gary Finale - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Tally 14 Hits to Take Series Finale over Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.