Aces Go Deep in 5-3 Win
Alexandria, LA, Friday August 3, 2007- The Alexandria Aces got help from the long ball tonight as they defeated the Laredo Broncos by the score of 5-3 in front of 2,183 at Bringhurst Field.
Palmer Karr Jr. went deep twice and Bryan Sabatella did once as the Aces got all of their runs via the home run tonight. Palmer Karr was 2-for-3 with four runs driven in and two runs scored as he hit his 16th and 17th home runs of the season. The four runs driven in, his 77th, 78th, 79th, and 80th, got him closer to the league leader, Nilson Teilon, who has 82.
Bryan Sabatella got the Aces on the scoreboard in the bottom of the first inning, with an opposite field blast after the Broncos got three runs in the top half of the inning on starter Buddy Bengel. Bengel worked 4.0 innings, allowing three runs on nine hits, while walking two and striking out four.
Adam Frey worked three scoreless innings in relief to pick up the win for Alexandria. Frey (6-3 allowed only one walk and one hit in his longest stint out of the bullpen. Juan Carlos Ovalles worked a perfect eighth and Justin Dowdt struke out he side in the ninth to record his league leading 19th save of the season.
Selwyn Langaigne, Evan Cherry, and Josh Tranum added hits for the Aces. Tranum's hit extended his hitting streak to 14 games.
Broncos starter Jose Cordero struke out 13 Aces, but allowed the three long balls, while allowing five runs on six hits and walking five in his 7.0 innings of work. Cordero (6-5) threw a season high 135 pitches, 78 for strikes.
Edgard Clemente, the nephew of Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente, added a two run home run in the first inning for the Broncos. Juan Lebron and Pedro Lopez added multiple hit games as well.
Tomorrow's Probable Starters: ALX-- Luis Arroyo LAR-- Luis Arroyo
Next home game: Saturday August 4, 2007. Batting Helmet Night.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from August 3, 2007
- Late Scoring Gives Colts Blowout Win - San Angelo Colts
- Colts Explode Late, Hammer Dillas - Amarillo Dillas
- Aces Go Deep in 5-3 Win - Alexandria Aces
- German Leads Coyotes Past WhiteWings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th