Aces drop series finale
Alexandria, LA Sunday July 29, 2007- The Laredo Broncos salvaged the series and avoided the sweep with a 10-9 victory over the Aces in front of 1,072 fans at Bringhurst Field. The Aces won the series two games to one.
Bronco reliever John Smith worked 2.0 scoreless innings to pick up the victory for Laredo. Smith (2-3) allowed only one hit to Luis Guance in the seventh inning. Brian Daly, Friday nights starter, worked the final 1.2 innings, allowing one run on two hits, while striking out one to pick up his first save of the season.
Aces starter Brian Bunyan worked another solid 5.0 innings, allowing three runs on five hits, while walking two and striking out two, but did not factor into the decision. Newcomer Danny Bonilla picked up the loss in his 1.2 of work. Bonilla (2-7) allowed five runs on five hits, while walking one and striking out three. Bonilla was released by the Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings last week and was making his first appearance as an Ace.
Wilson Burwell had a fantastic night at the palte going 3-for-5 with four runs driven in and two runs scored. Burwell hit his fifth home run of the season off of Daly in the ninth inning to make it a 10-9 game. Evan Cherry, making his first start in the leadoff spot, was 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a run driven in for Alexandria. Josh Tranum continued his second half tear, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and a run batted in. Luis Guance added a 1-for-4 affair with two runs batted in and a run scored to lead the Aces.
With the win the Broncos improve to 31-44 overall and 11-15 in the second half, still nine games out of first place.
The loss drops the Aces to 47-28 overall and 20-6 in the second half, both still league bests.
Tomorrow's Probable Starters: ALX-- Adam Cox (11-2) SAN-- TBA
Next home game: Friday August 2, 2007.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 29, 2007
- Aces drop series finale - Alexandria Aces
- Dozen Does Duty For Dillas - Amarillo Dillas
- Coyotes and Wings Rained Out - Edinburg Roadrunners
- WhiteWings Doubleheader Rained Out - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th