Aces Defeat Colts, 4-3
Alexandria, LA, Tuesday August 7, 2007- The Aces started the series off right with the second place San Angelo Colts by defeating them by the score of 4-3 in front of 1,578 faithful fans at Bringhurst Field.
Charlie Foster worked 2.1 scoreless innings in relief, allowing only one hit in earning the victory. Foster (2-0) relieved newcomer Josue Matos. Matos went 4.2 in his debut, allowing three runs on four hits, while walking three and striking out seven. Matos left in the fifth with cramping with one on and two out and a tied score at 3-3. Charlie Foster then came in to retire Madison Edwards to end the threat. Juan Carlos Ovalles worked a perfect eighth, striking out the side all swinging on 14 pitches. Justin Dowdy worked a perfect ninth for this league leading 20th save of the seaon.
Selwyn Langaigne was 2-for-4 with two runs driven in and a run scored on his sixth homerun of the season. Richard Paz was 1-for-3 with a solo home run in the first to put the Aces on the scoreboard 1-0. After a rbi single from Colts second baseman Jason Diaz to even the score at 1-1. Langaigne sent his sixth home run into right center field to give the Aces a two run cushion at 3-1 in the fourth inning.Another rbi single from Jason Diaz made it 3-2 game with runners at the corners with one out. San Angelo tied it up on a wild pitch from Josue Matos to Jason Crosland.
The Aces retook the lead for good when Eddie Fitzpatrick scored on a Richard Paz fielder's choice and an arroe on first base man Andres Rodriguez in the bottom of the fifth innng.
Josh Tranum extended his hitting streak to 17 games with a 1-for-3 performance and a double. Evan Cherry and Tyrone Pendergrass also added hits for the Aces.
The win improves the Aces to 53-30 overall and 26-8 in the second half, an eight game lead over San Angelo.
The loss drops the Colts to 40-44 overall and 18-16 in the second half.
Tomorrow's Probable Starters: ALX-- Adam Frey SAN-- Brian Henschel
Next home game: Wednesday August 8, 2007.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from August 7, 2007
- Coyotes Top Broncos in 11, 7-6 - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Dillas Fight Back, Fall Short - Amarillo Dillas
- WhiteWings Survive Amarillo Rally - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Aces Hang On for 4-3 Win Over Colts - San Angelo Colts
- Aces Defeat Colts, 4-3 - Alexandria Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th