Aces comeback falls just short
Alexandria, La. - The San Angelo Colts put up seven runs in the second inning and held off an Alexandria Aces comeback to win 10-7 Saturday at Bringhurst Field. Going into the sixth, the Aces trailed 8-0. With one out, Rafael Ozuna hit a two-run homer to left, his tenth of the year. The Aces added one more in the sixth on an RBI double by Jose Umbria to make the score 8-3. In the seventh, the Aces scored three more. With the bases loaded and one out, Andre Marshall hit into a fielder's choice that scored Selwyn Langaigne. Umbria followed with another double to score Brian Nichols and Marshall from first base to cut the Colts' lead to 8-6. The Aces pulled within one in the eighth. Bryan Sabatella hit a double to center with one out. Two batters later, Langaigne singled him home and the Aces were behind 8-7. The Colts added some insurance with two runs in the ninth. In the bottom of the ninth and the tying run at the plate, pinch hitter Larry Bethea popped out to first to end the game. The Colts benefited from a seven-run second inning. Tyrone Pendergrass hit a two-run single with the bases loaded. John Anderson followed with an RBI single and was followed by a walk to Jose Torres to load the bases for Andres Rodriguez. The United League home run and RBI leader hit the first pitch of the at bat over the wall in left for a grand slam and a 7-0 Colts lead. The homer was Rodriguez's 20th of the year and pushed his RBIs to 97 for the year. The Aces and Colts will finish their three-game series Sunday as Alejandro Martinez for the Aces faces Chris Weast. Game time is 5:05.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from August 9, 2008
- Aces comeback falls just short - Alexandria Aces
- Coyotes Take Game Two, Extend Playoff Lead - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Bravo Plays All Nine Positions to Lead Dillas Past WhiteWings, 12-8 - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Broncos Playoff Hopes Slipping Away After loss to Coyotes - Laredo Broncos
- Colts lose opener of road trip, 6-4 - San Angelo Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th