Aces Celebrate Fan Appreciation Day, Continue Battle for Postseason Positioning Saturday vs. LA
LAS VEGAS, NV - The Las Vegas Aces pull the curtain down on their regular season home schedule this evening, hosting the Los Angeles Sparks for Fan Appreciation Day beginning at 7:30 pm PT. The match up is also key for playoff seeding, as the Aces are chasing the Sparks for the number three seed in the postseason, while trying to keep the Chicago Sky in their rearview mirror.
Las Vegas has lost three straight, all on the road, entering the weekend, with the team's top-ranked defense taking a hit during that stretch. The Aces still lead the league in Defensive Efficiency, Defensive Field Goal Percentage, and Defensive Rebound Percentage, but they allowed an average of 91.0 points per game in their last three contests as opponents made 48.6 percent of their shots from the field.
A'ja Wilson (15.3 points per game), Liz Cambage (15.0) and Dearica Hamby (11.3) all averaged double figures in scoring over the last three games, but three-time All-Star Kayla McBride put up just 4.7 points per game, while making 21.7 percent of her shots from the floor.
Kelsey Plum was a bright spot for the Aces in the team's most recent loss at Indiana, as she scored 17 points, handed out 6 assists, and committed no turnovers coming off the bench.
Los Angeles has won four of its late five games and 12 of its last 16 to move a half game ahead of the Aces. Nneka Ogwumike leads four members of the Sparks scoring in double figures at 16.6 points per game. She is joined by Cherlsea Gray (14.7), Riquna Williams (14.7), and Candace Parker (10.1).
Defensively, Los Angeles ranks third in the league in Defensive Field Goal Percentage, and Opponent Turnovers Per Game.
The Sparks have won two of the first three meetings this season between the clubs, with the home team winning each time.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 31, 2019
- Ogunbowale Tallies 30 in Loss to Mystics - Dallas Wings
- Dream Open Final 2019 Road Trip at Seattle Sunday - Atlanta Dream
- Aces Celebrate Fan Appreciation Day, Continue Battle for Postseason Positioning Saturday vs. LA - Las Vegas Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Aces Stories
- Aces, A'ja Wilson Team up with NIKE to Grow the Game for Girls in Las Vegas
- October 17, 2019 Proclaimed "The Las Vegas Aces Day in the City of Las Vegas"
- Las Vegas Aces Jackie Young Scores Game-High 9, But USAB Falls, 14-12, to Brazil in Quarterfinals
- Aces Jackie Young Leads USAB 3x3 To, 22-3, Trouncing of Russia
- Jackie Young Leads USAB 3x3 to Pair of Dominating Wins First Day of 2019 World Beach Games