Abruzzese Named USHL Forward of the Week
GENEVA, ILLINOIS - The USHL announced Monday that Steel forward Nick Abruzzese has been named USHL Forward of the Week for the week of February 4-10. This is the second time this season that Abruzzese has received this honor, with the first coming back on December 3, 2018.
Abruzzese currently leads the USHL with 54 points (18-36-54) this season, including a five-point (2-3-5) weekend in the last two games.
Abruzzese scored a pair of goals Friday night in a wild 8-6 loss to the Sioux Falls Stampede. He followed it up with a three-assist game Saturday to cap a five-point weekend and help lead the Steel to a 5-3 win over the Sioux City Musketeers.
Abruzzese currently leads the USHL with 54 points (18-36-54) this season.
"We are proud of how Nick is playing the game right now," said Head Coach Greg Moore. "He is relentless in his study of the game. There isn't a day he isn't watching video, studying his own game, learning from his peers or pushing himself on the ice to add a new skill. He is surrounded by like-minded athletes and his leadership is invaluable to our team."
Abruzzese has 20 points (10-10-20) in 13 games since January 4 and is currently on a three-game point streak (2-4-6). He has a point in 31 of his 41 games this season and leads the Steel with 17 multi-point games. Abruzzese was named to the NHL Central Scouting January Midterm Rankings (#200, North American skaters) ahead of the 2019 NHL Draft.
"This weekend was a great opportunity for Nick to measure his game against some of the biggest names in the USHL as far as the 2019 NHL Draft is concerned," said General Manager Ryan Hardy. "His development trajectory this season has been tremendous and he has established himself as arguably the best player in the league with his play."
Abruzzese and the Steel return to Fox Valley Ice Arena for a big pair of conference games this weekend as they face the division-leading Muskegon Lumberjacks on Friday for Military Appreciation/Hometown Heroes Night. Saturday will be a showdown with Team USA U18 with a collectable Rusty Snow Globe giveaway for the first 500 fans in attendance.
Tickets for all Steel home games are on sale now starting at just $10 and stadium seating on the glass is available for just $20. Parking is always free.
2018-2019 Players of the Week
Forward: Nick Abruzzese (Week 20 - February 11, 2019)
Nick Abruzzese (Week 10 - December 3, 2018)
Defense: Matteo Pietroniro (Week 18 - January 27, 2019)
Goalie: Reilly Herbst (Week 10 - December 3, 2018)
For more information, call 855-51-STEEL or visit ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 11, 2019
- Explosive Second Period, Power Play Helps Dubuque Down Madison - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Schmid Named USHL Goaltender of the Week - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Captain Ronnie Attard Named USHL Defenseman of the Week - Tri-City Storm
- Abruzzese Named USHL Forward of the Week - Chicago Steel
- USHL Names Players of the Week for Week 20 - USHL
- USHL Names Players of the Week for Week 20 - Tri-City Storm
- Saints March to Madison for Monday Night Matchup - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Black Hawks Futures Camp Returns in August - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Steel Stories
- Chicago Steel Dropped in OT, 5-4
- Chicago Steel Postgame Notes and Quotes - October 18 vs. Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Weekly Preview: Magnet Schedules, Retro Video Games and Raising Cane's Kids Day Highlights Back-To-Back Home Weekend
- Chicago Steel Pot 10 in Blowout Win at Youngstown
- Chicago Steel Postgame Notes and Recap - October 13 at Youngstown Phantoms