67's Tourigny Honoured as the CHL's Coach of the Year
OTTAWA - The Canadian Hockey League announced on Monday that Ottawa 67's Head Coach and VP of Hockey Operations Andre Tourigny is the recipient of the 2019-CHL Brian Kilrea award, as the league's Coach of the Year, earning the award for the first time in his coaching career.
In what was a shortened season, Tourigny coached the 67's to a 50-11-0-1 record, with an OHL leading 101 points. Ottawa also led the circuit in goals (296), and the least goals against (164). Tourigny and the 67's had also reached the 50-win plateau last season, with six more games played.
"It's a tremendous honour for my staff and me to receive this CHL Coach of the Year Award," said Tourigny. "When you look at the number coaching staffs working so hard in the CHL each season, so to be recognized by the CHL as Coach of the Year, we feel really blessed and honoured as a staff. Our ownership and our management gave us all the tools to make it happen, and I also want to thank our players for all the support and hard work during the whole season in order to make this happen."
This was Tourigny's third season behind the bench in Ottawa as the Barber Poles' Head Coach. In his three years with the club, the team holds a combined record of 130-52-10-6. Tourigny's excellence has not gone unnoticed with these two awards in two years, as well as the nomination as Team Canada's Head Coach at the next World Junior Hockey Championship tournament.
"Andre has been the driving force behind the continuous improvement of our hockey club with his nurturing style, relentless attention to detail and ability to marshal players and staff throughout the season," said 67's General Manager, James Boyd.
After being named the OHL Coach of the Year for a second consecutive season last month, Tourigny wins this prestigious award for the first time in his coaching career, after he was a finalist for last season's award.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 1, 2020
- 67's Tourigny Honoured as the CHL's Coach of the Year - Ottawa 67's
- Andre Tourigny Wins CHL Brian Kilrea Coach of the Year Award Presented by Janes - OHL
- Spitfires' Corcoran Signs with Golden Knights - Windsor Spitfires
- 2020 2nd Round Pick Kyle Downey Commits to the Spitfires - Windsor Spitfires
- Michael Richards Named Bracket Challenge Winner - Kitchener Rangers
- Declan Chisholm Signs Entry-Level Contract with Winnipeg Jets - Peterborough Petes
- Guskov Landed from London - North Bay Battalion
- Guskov Traded To North Bay - London Knights
- Spirit Acquire Pacey Schlueting from Battalion - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa 67's Stories
- Ontario Hockey League Releases Return to Play Plan for 2020-21 Season
- 67's Add Two New Players to the Roster Through 2020 CHL Import Draft
- 67's Acquire Steven LaForme from North Bay Battalion
- 67's Noel Hoefenmayer Earns CHL Defenceman of the Year Award
- 67's Tourigny Honoured as the CHL's Coach of the Year