27 CHL Players Invited to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp
December 2, 2019 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) News Release
CALGARY, Alta. - With less than one month until the puck drops on the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship, Hockey Canada has named the 31 players who have earned an invitation to Canada's National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp, set for Dec. 9-12 in Oakville, Ont.
The roster was selected by head scout Brad McEwen (Whitewood, Sask.), Shawn Bullock (Wainwright, Alta.), director of men's national teams for Hockey Canada, and Mark Hunter (Petrolia, Ont./London, OHL), the U20 lead for the Program of Excellence management group. Head coach Dale Hunter (Petrolia, Ont./London, OHL) and assistant coaches Mitch Love (Quesnel, B.C./Saskatoon, WHL), André Tourigny (Nicolet, Que./Ottawa, OHL) and Alan Letang (Renfrew, Ont./Owen Sound, OHL) also provided input, along with coaches and general managers across the Canadian Hockey League (CHL).
The players, including four goaltenders, 10 defencemen and 17 forwards, will compete for a chance to represent Canada at the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship in Ostrava and Trinec, Czech Republic, Dec. 26-Jan. 5.
Among the 31 players are three returnees from the 2019 World Juniors - Alexis Lafrenière (Saint-Eustache, Que./Rimouski, QMJHL), Jared McIsaac (Truro, N.S./Halifax, QMJHL) and Ty Smith (Lloydminster, Alta./Spokane, WHL).
"After a long evaluation process through summer camp, the early weeks of the CHL season and the Canada-Russia Series, we are nearing the final steps in selecting the roster that will represent Canada at the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship," said McEwen. "We are expecting a highly competitive camp from these 31 players, and we know there will be many difficult decisions when it comes time to select the players who will wear the Maple Leaf in the Czech Republic."
CHL Players Invited to Selection Camp:
Nico Daws (Guelph Storm)
Joel Hofer (Portland Winterhawks)
Hunter Jones (Peterborough Petes)
Olivier Rodrigue (Moncton Wildcats)
Calen Addison (Lethbridge Hurricanes)
Kevin Bahl (Ottawa 67's)
Bowen Byram (Vancouver Giants)
Jamie Drysdale (Erie Otters)
Thomas Harley (Mississauga Steelheads)
Jared McIsaac (Halifax Mooseheads)
Braden Schneider (Brandon Wheat Kings)
Ty Smith (Spokane Chiefs)
Quinton Byfield (Sudbury Wolves)
Dylan Cozens (Lethbridge Hurricanes)
Ty Dellandrea (Flint Firebirds)
Aidan Dudas (Owen Sound Attack)
Nolan Foote (Kelowna Rockets)
Liam Foudy (London Knights)
Benoit-Olivier Groulx (Halifax Mooseheads)
Peyton Krebs (Winnipeg ICE)
Alexis Lafreniere (Rimouski Oceanic)
Raphael Lavoie (Halifax Mooseheads)
Connor McMichael (London Knights)
Dawson Mercer (Drummondville Voltigeurs)
Jakob Pelletier (Moncton Wildcats)
Cole Perfetti (Saginaw Spirit)
Akil Thomas (Niagara IceDogs)
Canada's National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp will be held at the Sixteen Mile Sports Complex and will feature a pair of games against a team of U SPORTS all-stars on Dec. 11-12. Tickets for selection camp are available at HockeyCanada.ca/Tickets, starting at $15 plus fees.
The 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship begins on Boxing Day when Canada takes on the United States at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT.
Canada has won 31 medals at the IIHF World Junior Championship since 1977, including 17 gold, nine silver and five bronze. Team Canada last took home gold in Buffalo in 2018.
For more information on Hockey Canada, Canada's National Junior Team and the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship, please visit HockeyCanada.ca, or follow along through social media on Facebook, Twitter and #WorldJuniors.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 2, 2019
- Kari Piiroinen Named to Finnish National Team Camp - Windsor Spitfires
- Daws Named OHL Goaltender of the Month for November - Guelph Storm
- 12 OHL Players Invited to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - OHL
- Shane Wright Named OHL Rookie of the Month for November - Kingston Frontenacs
- OHL Announces Top Performers of the Month for November - OHL
- Corcoran Named Defenceman of the Month - Windsor Spitfires
- 27 CHL Players Invited to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - OHL
- Drysdale Invited to Team Canada Selection Camp for 2020 World Junior Tournament - Erie Otters
- Struthers Dealt for Picks - North Bay Battalion
- Overtime Win in the Soo Pushes Win Streak to 7 - London Knights
- 67's' Marco Rossi Named OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week - OHL
- Nico Daws Named to the Sport Chek National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp - Guelph Storm
- 67's Marco Rossi Named OHL's Player of the Week - Ottawa 67's
- Kolyachonok & Oksentyuk Named to Belarus Under-20 National Team Training Camp Roster - Flint Firebirds
- Perfetti Named to Canada National Junior Team Selection Camp - Saginaw Spirit
- Dellandrea Invited to Canada's National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp - Flint Firebirds
- Harley Invited to National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp - Mississauga Steelheads
- Attack Acquire Matthew Struthers from North Bay Battalion - Owen Sound Attack
- Dudas Invited to Hockey Canada Junior Team Selection Camp - Owen Sound Attack
- 67's Kevin Bahl Invited to Team Canda's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Ottawa 67's
- Hunter Jones Invited to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Peterborough Petes
- Kingston Canadians Return to the OHL to Honour Chris Clifford - Kingston Frontenacs
- Teddy Bear Toss Rescheduled for this Thursday December 5th at 7:05pm - Oshawa Generals
- OHL Announces Rescheduled Game Between Kingston and Oshawa - OHL
- Solovyov Named to Belarus Under-20 National Team Training Camp Roster - Saginaw Spirit
- Great Lakes Bay Region Set to Host OHL's 20/20's Vision Meetings - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.