19 Hits Lead to Bears' Sixth Straight Victory
The Yakima Bears offense collected a season-high 19 hits in a 9-3 win over the Everett Aquasox Friday night at Everett Memorial Stadium. The win was the sixth straight for the Bears, who at 16-15 are one game back of the East Division Leading Tri-City Dust Devils, who had lost earlier in the afternoon Friday.
The Bears scored one run in each of the first four innings to jump out to a 4-0 lead. Those first four runs were highlighted by Carter Bell's first professional home run.
The Aquasox scored three runs over the fourth and fifth innings to pull within one of the Bears. Bears starting pitcher Adam Kudryk, who went on to earn his fourth victory of the season, left after the fifth inning.
In the seventh inning the Bears got a lead-off single from Jimmy Comerota that was followed by a Garrett Weber home run. The Bears would add another run in the seventh, plus a run in the eighth and one in the ninth. The Bears scored in seven different innings Friday.
After Kudryk left the game, Greg Robinson pitched four shutout innings to earn his second save of the 2011 season.
All nine hitters in the Bears order had at least one hit, six finished with a multi-hit game, the team combined for six extra-base hits and five walks. Weber led the way, going 4-for-6 with two doubles, a home run, and four RBIs. Comerota also had four hits, while Kerry Jenkins recorded his fifth straight multi-hit game thanks to a 2-for-5 effort.
With wins in the first three-games of the five-game series in Everett, the Bears have already earned the series win with still two games to play.
The Bears and Aquasox play game four of the series at Everett Memorial Stadium Saturday night. Game time is set for 7:05. Right-handed pitchers Alex Capaul of the Bears and Jordan Pries of the Aquasox are the probable pitchers.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 27, 2011
- Bears Win Seventh Straight, Tied for First Place - Yakima Bears
- Salem-Keizer victorious over Boise - Boise Hawks
- Vancouver takes fourth straight; look for series sweep on Sunday afternoon - Vancouver Canadians
- Sporting Kansas City Falls 3-2 to FC Dallas in Front of Record Crowd at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park - Spokane Indians
- Frogs Fall Back into Tie for First - Everett AquaSox
- 19 Hits Lead to Bears' Sixth Straight Victory - Yakima Bears
- Volcanoes get victory - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.