Red Bulls trade goalkeeper Zach Thornton to Chivas USA
SECAUCUS, NJ (August 1, 2008) - Red Bull New York announced today it has traded goalkeeper Zach Thornton to Chivas USA in exchange for future considerations. "We want to thank Zach for his time with the Red Bulls organization," said Red Bull New York Sporting Director Jeff Agoos. "He is the consummate professional and we wish him well with this move to Chivas USA. This is an opportunity for Zach to compete for a starting role, and we did not want to stand in his way."
Thornton, 34, signed with New York on January 17, 2008, after playing the 2007 season with the Colorado Rapids. The goalkeeper did not appear in any First Team MLS matches, but posted a shutout win vs. Mexican First Division side, CD Guadalajara, in an International Friendly, and also played the full 90 minutes in the Red Bulls' U.S. Open Cup Match. Thornton also featured in four MLS Reserve League matches for New York, posting a 1.14 goals against average.
The Red Bulls take on Spanish giant FC Barcelona in an International Friendly at Giants Stadium on August 6 at 7:00 PM ET. For tickets, please call 1.877.RBSOCCER or log onto www.newyorkredbulls.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from August 1, 2008
- FC Dallas Transfers Juan Toja to Steaua Bucuresti - FC Dallas
- Chivas USA acquires GK Zach Thornton from New York Red Bulls - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls trade goalkeeper Zach Thornton to Chivas USA - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas signs midfielder Jamie Watson - FC Dallas
- Revolution, Dynamo square off with title at stake...again - New England Revolution
- New York Red Bulls to ring closing bell at NASDAQ Monday - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Sign Spanish Forward Mikel Arce - San Jose Earthquakes
- Western Union and RSL to Host CALLE Street Soccer Tournament on August 23 - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Original Brad Guzan joins Aston Villa of English Premier League - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.