Mavericks' Season Ends in Game 6: Fall 4-3 in 2OTApril 16, 2014 - Central Hockey League (CHL) - Missouri Mavericks
The Mavericks jumped onto the scoreboard early with a first period goal by Mike Ramsay, assisted by Obi Aduba and Matt Stephenson. The Sundogs tied it up 1-1 in the last minute of the period, holding a 9-7 shots on goal advantage over the Mavs.
Despite taking only 6 shots on goal through the second 20 minutes of play, the Mavericks dominated the frame, scoring twice to carry a 3-1 lead over the challenging Sundogs team. Eric Castonguay scored with the help of Ramsay and Sebastien Thinel. Colten Hayes bumped up the lead with a goal set-up by Thinel and Castonguay.
The Mavs held their 3-1 lead until the 7:31 mark of the third period, when Paul McIlveen brought the Sundogs within 1 of Missouri with a power play goal. Unable to stay out of the penalty box, the Mavs found themselves short-handed again less than 3 minutes later, giving the Sundogs the opportunity to score and tie the game at 3-3 with a goal from Shawn Limpright.
The game remained tied through the final minutes of regulation, and when a winner could not be determined in the first overtime period, another 20 minutes of extra time was put up on the clock. The Mavericks threw everything on the ice, climbing their way up in shots on goal and dominating ice time in their attacking zone. Missouri goaltender Shane Owen was spectacular, making saves of the season to keep the Mavs alive as the clock ticked toward the end of the period.
It would only take one goal to win, and the Sundogs got that one goal with only 58 seconds left in the second overtime period to win the game 4-3 and take the series 4-2 over the Missouri Mavericks to advance to the Conference Finals.
This is the first time the Missouri Mavericks have lost to a lower seed in the playoffs and the first time the team has fallen in the Opening Round of the CHL Playoffs.
"This is no ordinary loss," said Mavericks Head Coach Scott Hillman after the game, "this is devastating."
Central Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2014
- Americans Host Quad City Friday Night as Semifinals Open in Allen - Allen Americans
- Rush Eliminated in Game 7, Fall to Mallards 3-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards Win Game Seven in Rapid City, Advance to Meet Allen in CHL Semi-Finals - Quad City Mallards
- CHL Conference Finals Set; Begin on Friday - CHL
- Rush and Mallards Battle Tonight in 29th Game 7 in CHL History - CHL
- Mavericks' Season Ends in Game 6: Fall 4-3 in 2OT - Missouri Mavericks
- Americans Open Round 2 Friday at Home - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Win Another Double Overtime Game 4-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Rush Stave off Elimination, Force Winner-Take-All - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Season Ends in Game 6 Overtime Heartbreaker - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.