Final: Revs 2, Dynamo 0May 19, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) New England Revolution
Fagundez registered his team-leading and career-high third goal of the season in the 51st minute when he completed a clever give-and-go with Clyde Simms. Agudelo - who made his Revolution debut when he came on in the 35th minute for an injured Ryan Guy (L calf) - then saw his effort bounce into the net off Ricardo Clark in the 84th minute to seal the points.
Revolution goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth made three saves to record his fourth shutout of the season and help the Revs (3-4-4, 13 pts.) snap a brief three-game winless run. For the Dynamo (6-4-2, 20 pts.), it was a second home loss in the span of seven days after going unbeaten at home for almost two years.
Scoring chances were limited in the opening 45 minutes, but there were plenty of talking points regardless. Both sides were reduced to 10 men late in the first half when Revolution forward Dimitry Imbongo and Dynamo defender Bobby Boswell saw straight red following a tussle in the box, while the teams combined to make three enforced substitutions.
The action continued early in the second half, but this time in the form of a goal as Fagundez put the Revs in front in the 51st minute. The 18-year-old played a well worked give-and-go with Simms at the top of the box before bursting through the backline and finishing calmly inside the right post.
Play opened up after the goal and both teams began to generate scoring chances more regularly. Dynamo forward Will Bruin headed narrowly over the crossbar in the 61st minute from Corey Ashe's cross, while Lee Nguyen hit the post at the other end of the field 10 minutes later with a long-range rocket.
Shuttleworth came up with a massive save in the 81st minute to deny Brian Ching, who drilled a shot on target from the center of the box after Andrew Driver found him with a low cutback.
Three minutes later the Revs sealed the points with a second goal and Agudelo was at the center of the action. New England sprang a quick counterattack with Agudelo, Nguyen and Chris Tierney leading the charge. Tierney's chip into the middle of the box was corralled by Agudelo and his effort rebounded off Clark and over the line before it could be cleared by a Dynamo defender.
The Revs will now return to Gillette Stadium for a three-game home-stand, beginning next Saturday night when they'll host Toronto FC.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 19, 2013
- Steven Purdy Called up by El Salvador's National Team - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Draws D.C. United 1-1 at RFK Stadium - Sporting Kansas City
- Galaxy Fall to Red Bulls on Another Late Goal - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Reserves Earn 1-1 Draw at Whitecaps FC Reserves - Portland Timbers
- Last Gasp Cahill Goal Gives First Place Red Bulls 1-0 Win over LA Galaxy - New York Red Bulls
- Reserve League: San Jose Earthquakes Top Colorado Rapids 3-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Reserves Fall to Charleston Battery, 1-0 - Houston Dynamo
- Gehrig Steps up for Injured Marshall - Columbus Crew
- Final: Revs 2, Dynamo 0 - New England Revolution
- High-Pressure Game Plan Works Wonders as Revolution Stuns Dynamo - New England Revolution
- Rapids Take 1-1 Draw in San Jose with Sturgis on Target - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Continue Hot Play by Toppling Dallas 4-2 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.