Rapids Acquire Colombian Defender Germán MeraMay 6, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Colorado Rapids Press Release
"Germán is a big, strong and talented young defender with experience at the top level in Colombia," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "Bringing him in gives us some good depth along the back line, as he can play both centrally and on the left. We're looking forward to welcoming him to the club."
Mera comes to Colorado having spent the last three seasons with Deportivo Cali in the Colombian Primera A, the country's top league, where he played a total of 56 games (53 starts) in league and cup play. He also appeared for Cali in the 2011 Copa Sudamericana, an international tournament for South American club teams. Colorado acquired Mera on loan on the last day of MLS' first transfer window, and the defender will occupy both a roster and International slot that is available because the Rapids have players on the Disabled List.
The Rapids, coming off a 1-0 win over Toronto FC on Saturday, will visit the Columbus Crew this Saturday, May 11, and the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday, May 18, with both matches being broadcast live on Altitude with play-by-play man Richard Fleming and former U.S. National Team star Marcelo Balboa. The Rapids return to Dick's Sporting Goods Park on May 25 at 7:00 p.m. to face Chivas USA. For more information on the team, or to purchase tickets, visit www.ColoradoRapids.com or call 303-825-GOAL.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2013
- Regenerative Training Session for Chivas USA - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- After Watching Chivas' Kennedy See Red, LA Galaxy Wonder Why Houston's Tally Hall Wasn't Ejected - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Acquire Colombian Defender Germán Mera - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Development Update: May 6, 2013 - Portland Timbers
- Youth Update: Oakwood SC - New England Revolution
- First Tranfer Window Closes Today - This Week in MLS - MLS
- LA Galaxy U-18's Enjoy Big Weekend - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Eastern Conference Roundup: May 6 - Columbus Crew SC
- Graham Zusi Named MLS Player of the Week - Sporting Kansas City
- Sporting Kansas City Midfielder Graham Zusi Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Impact BMO Public Practices Return in 2013 - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Host Philadelphia Union for Saturday Afternoon Showdown - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- United Match against Houston Dynamo on Wednesday, May 8, to Air on CSN Plus - D.C. United
- Continental Tire to Expand North American Soccer Presence - MLS
- Galaxy Fall to Dynamo - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Driver Goal Lifts Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.