Red Bulls Fall 3-1 to Chicago FireApril 7, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) New York Red Bulls
The Red Bulls return to action on April 13 when they take on D.C. United at RFK Stadium at 7:00 PM ET (TV: MSG2; Radio: ESPN Deportes Radio Nueva York 1050 AM). New York's next home match is on Wednesday, April 17 as it battles Sporting Kansas City at 7:30 PM. For tickets, call 1.877.RBSOCCER or log onto www.newyorkredbulls.com.
The Red Bulls went ahead in the 17th minute. Juninho's corner kick was headed back in by Tim Cahill. Brandon Barklage was able to flick the ball into the six yard box and Olave was there to acrobatically scissor it in from close range.
Chicago earned a penalty kick eight minutes later, as Red Bulls midfielder Jonny Steele was adjudged to have handled a Jeff Larentowicz shot inside the penalty box. However, Chris Rolfe stepped up and missed his attempt wide left.
New York nearly doubled its advantage in the 32nd minute. Juninho ran onto a long ball on the right wing and his low cross was met by Peguy Luyindula, who could not re-direct it on frame. Moments later, Dax McCarty headed a Barklage cross on target and goalkeeper Sean Johnson went to his right to make the stop. Johnson again kept the score 1-0 with four minutes to play in the half, going low to block a Luyindula drive.
The Fire tied the game in the 44th minute. Hunter Jumper swung in a left-footed cross and Daniel Paladini rose to head it into the back of the net.
In the second half, substitute Thierry Henry, recovering from a left knee sprain, nearly scored his second goal in as many matches, striking the ball off the left post following a left-footed drive that beat Johnson.
Chicago was able to get the three points with a pair of late goals from Maicon Santos. In the 83th minute, Santos ran onto a Paladini through ball, cut it back and put it past goalkeeper Luis Robles. Then with a minute until stoppage time, Santos found the back of the net again, knocking the ball in from close range off a Larentowicz pass.
Major League Soccer Stories from April 7, 2013
- Red Bulls Fall 3-1 to Chicago Fire - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Defeat New York Red Bulls 3-1 for First Victory of 2013 - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Reserves Defeat VSI Tampa Bay FC 2-1 - Portland Timbers
- Juninho Given Clean Bill of Health for Wednesday's Clash in Monterrey - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Oduro Repays Warzycha's Faith with Equalizer vs. Union - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers Shut out Dynamo in 2-0 Win at Jeld-Wen Field - Portland Timbers
- Portland Timbers win over Houston - Houston Dynamo
- Hertzog nets first MLS goal in action-packed match vs. Quakes - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Wondolowski Scores as San Jose Earthquakes Draw 1-1 against Vancouver Whitecaps FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Reserves Tie Colorado Reserves 0-0 - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.