MLS Reserve League: Seattle Sounders FC 0 vs. Portland Timbers 1March 17, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Seattle Sounders FC Press Release
Valencia scored the game's lone goal in the 86th minute. Following a corner kick, the ball was knocked around in a scrum in the box and Steven Evans found Valencia six-yards out, and he slotted it inside the far netting for the game-winner.
Minutes after Valencia's goal, Seattle's Phillip Lund headed a corner kick on goal but it bounced off the post before rolling across the endline.
Seattle started quick with a quality chance in the 18th minute when Zach Scott found a streaking Leo Gonzalez on the left flank. Gonzalez sent a cross into the box where Lund struck a left-footed volley that rolled wide of the far post.
Portland's Kalif Alhassan was dangerous throughout the opening 45 minutes, finding Frederic Piquionne twice in the box. In the 20th minute, Alhassan played Piquionne into the box but his cross was intercepted by Gonzalez. Four minutes later, Alhassan sent a cross to Piquionne in front of goal but Marcus Hahnemann jumped off his line to smother the ball.
Sounders FC had two chances at the start of the second half. In the 48th minute, Alex Caskey took a ball from Eriq Zavaleta but his chip shot was tipped over the crossbar by a diving Jake Gleeson.
Sounders FC Academy player Jordan Morris curled a shot from the top of the box in the 54th minute but it missed wide of the far post. Morris had another scoring change in the 76th minute on a breakaway but his shot from 12 yards hit the side netting.
Hahnemann made seven saves for Seattle, including an early stop on Piquionne in the 7th minute as well as a save on Steven Evans from the top of the box in the 66th minute.
Seattle's next regular season match is on Saturday against the San Jose Earthquakes at 7:30 p.m. PT from Buck Shaw Stadium.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 17, 2013
- Rapids Goalkeeper Matt Pickens out 3-4 Months with Fractured Forearm - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Reserves Open MLS Reserve League Campaign with 1-0 Win over Sounders FC - Portland Timbers
- MLS Reserve League: Seattle Sounders FC 0 vs. Portland Timbers 1 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy, Chivas USA End in Stalemate - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Ties the LA Galaxy, 1-1, in First Leg of SuperClásico - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- FC Dallas Reserves Fall 3-1 to Dynamo Reserves - FC Dallas
- Late Strike from Kenny Cooper Hands FC Dallas 3-2 Win over Houston Dynamo - FC Dallas
- Cooper Goal Lifts FC Dallas in 90th Minute - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Earn Draw in Seattle with Late Wallace Header - Portland Timbers
- Seattle plays to a draw - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Reserves Down Colorado Rapids Reserves 2-1 - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.