Jeld-Wen Field to Play Host to U.S. National Team as Part of 2013 Gold CupMarch 13, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Portland Timbers
The Group C matchups at JELD-WEN Field will pit Costa Rica and Cuba at 5:30 p.m. (Pacific), and Belize against the United States at 8 p.m. (Pacific) at the historic, downtown Portland venue. Click here for the complete 2013 Gold Cup schedule.
"We are excited to welcome back the U.S. National Team to Portland, and have the national teams from Belize, Cuba and Costa Rica experience Soccer City, USA," said Mike Golub, COO of the Portland Timbers. "JELD-WEN Field features one of the most unique and intimate soccer environments in North America and we are excited to showcase the experience on an international stage."
Tickets, which will allow entry into both matches, start at $25 and go on sale to the public Thursday, March 21, at 10 a.m. (Pacific) through the JELD-WEN Field box office and online at www.JELD-WENField.com.
An exclusive pre-sale for Timbers season ticket holders, members of the Season Ticket Waiting List, Portland Thorns FC season ticket holders and club sponsors begins Monday, March 18.
The U.S. National Team will make its third visit, and first since 1998, to JELD-WEN Field for the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup. The U.S. National Team defeated Kuwait 2-0 in a friendly at then-called Civic Stadium on May 24, 1998. The United States also played host to Costa Rica in a 1998 FIFA World Cup qualifier at Civic Stadium on Sept. 7, 1997, which the United States won 1-0 on a goal by Tab Ramos.
Taking place every two years, the Gold Cup has established itself as the region's most popular national team tournament, routinely drawing capacity crowds and millions of viewers across the region. Featuring the best players from the confederation, the tournament includes the top 12 nations in the region.
The following 12 national teams have qualified for this year's tournament (in alphabetical order): Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago and the United States.
With a mix of historic venues and new, state-of-the-art soccer facilities, the 2013 edition of the Gold Cup promises to provide fans both in stadium and at home with unforgettable atmospheres in world class venues.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 13, 2013
- Santos Laguna wins series, 3-1 on aggregate - Houston Dynamo
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Tucson to Myanmar: Guy Returns After Epic Journey - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo Seek Berth in CONCACAF Champions League Semifinals in Tonight's Deciding Match agains - Houston Dynamo
- Okugo Selected to EA SPORTS FIFA 13 Ultimate Team of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- CONCACAF Gold Cup: Houston Awarded Doubleheader on July 15 - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Academy Update - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Revolution Signs Diego Fagundez to Multi-Year Extension - New England Revolution
- United Soccer Club Kicks off Spring Campaign - D.C. United
- CenturyLink Field to Host Gold Cup Matches on July 11 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Jeld-Wen Field to Play Host to U.S. National Team as Part of 2013 Gold Cup - Portland Timbers
- United States, Costa Rica Headline 2013 Rio Tinto Stadium Gold Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Seattle Advances to CONCACAF Champions League Semifinals - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.