Real Salt Lake Weekly UpdateMarch 5, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Real Salt Lake Press Release
Real Salt Lake will look to move to 2-0-0 in its 2013 MLS campaign on Saturday, when it will take on D.C. United at RFK Stadium at 5:00 p.m. MT. The Claret-and-Cobalt beat the San Jose Earthquakes 2-0 in its MLS regular season opener at Buck Shaw Stadium on Sunday, getting a second half brace from FW Alvaro Saborio to quell the 'Quakes. It was the third time in the last four years that RSL beat San Jose in the MLS season opener. The Claret-and-Cobalt has now won four-consecutive MLS openers.
RSL returned to Salt Lake City on Monday. The team will train on Wednesday at 12:00 p.m. MT at America First Field in Sandy, Utah before heading to D.C. on Thursday.
Saturday's match will be broadcast live on ABC4, ESPN 700 AM and 102.3 La Gran/D/1600 AM. ESPN 700 will air hour-long pregame and postgame shows immediately before and after the match.
RIMANDO, BECKERMAN REACH MLS MILESTONES
Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando and MF Kyle Beckerman both reached MLS career milestones on Sunday night, with Rimando recording his 100th career regular season shutout and Beckerman making his 300th career regular season appearance.
Rimando is the second player in MLS history to reach 100 career shutouts. His 100 clean sheets are second in MLS history behind unsigned GK Kevin Hartman, who has 112 career shutouts.
Beckerman is the 20th player in MLS history and the seventh player with RSL ties to reach 300 career appearances. Captain Kyle joins Jeff Cunningham (365), Chris Klein (333), RSL Head Scout Andy Williams (332), Rimando (320), Carey Talley (315) and RSL Head Coach Jason Kreis (305) as the former/current Claret-and-Cobalt players in the exclusive club.
REAL SALT LAKE RESERVES DOWN SAN JOSE RESERVES 1-0
The Real Salt Lake Reserves beat the San Jose Reserves 1-0 on Monday afternoon, getting a first half goal from rookie FW Devon Sandoval to pick up all three points in its Reserve League opener.
The RSL Reserves will play its second match of the Reserve League season against the Colorado Rapids Reserves on Sunday, March 17 at America First Field in Sandy, Utah.
REAL SALT LAKE MF LUIS GIL NAMED TO CONCACAF U-20 CHAMPIONSHIP BEST XI
Real Salt Lake MF Luis Gil was named on Sunday to the Best XI for the CONCACAF U-20 Championship. Gil played in three games for the U.S. U-20 National Team at the Puebla, Mexico tournament, registering two goals and two assists to lead Tab Ramos' squad to a semifinal appearance and a berth in the FIFA U-20 World Cup.
Gil returned to Real Salt Lake last Wednesday following the U.S.'s Quarterfinal win over Canada that qualified the Americans for this summer's World Cup in Turkey. The 19-year-old California native played the full 90 minutes in Sunday's win at San Jose.
ALVARO SABORIO UP FOR MLS GOAL OF THE WEEK
Real Salt Lake FW Alvaro Saborio's first goal in Sunday's win at San Jose is up for MLS Goal of the Week. Saborio's 71st minute strike is up against goals from Vancouver MF Gershon Koffie, Columbus FW Federico Higuain, Montreal MF Davy Arnaud and Portland MF Diego Valeri.
MF JAVIER MORALES, DF NAT BORCHERS AND DF CHRIS WINGERT TO MISS SATURDAY'S MATCH
Real Salt Lake MF Javier Morales (R Lateral Meniscal Tear), DF Nat Borchers (L Quad Surgery) and DF Chris Wingert (R Fractured Metatarsal) will all miss the Claret-and-Cobalt's match at D.C. on Saturday due to injury. All three players are currently rehabbing their knocks.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 5, 2013
- Davis' Late Goal Lifts Dynamo over Santos Laguna 1-0 in Champions League - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- CSN's "State of the Revs" Returns - New England Revolution
- Revs Eye Return to Postseason in 2013 - New England Revolution
- Chandler Hoffman Ready for a Fresh Start with the Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Announce Reading United Friendly - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Signs 2013 MLS SuperDraft Pick Taylor Kemp - D.C. United
- Quebec Goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau Makes the Jump - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Launch Saskatchewan Academy Centre - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Quarterfinals Commence in CONCACAF Champions League - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Dynamo Host Santos Laguna in First Leg of Champions League Quarterfinals Tonight - Houston Dynamo
- Sal Zizzo Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Veteran Journalist Richard Fleming to Join Rapids as Director of Broadcasting - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids and Altitude Announce New Broadcast Talent for 2013 - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Names WPWR My50 Chicago as Official Television Partner - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Sign Matt Kassel - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.