Sounders FC defeat Real Salt LakeFebruary 16, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Seattle Sounders FC
In the 66th minute, Martinez intercepted a clearance at the top of the box, touched once, and rocketed a left-footed shot off a bounce into the bottom right corner of the net. Martinez was the last Sounders FC player to score against RSL when he netted the winner in the MLS Western Conference semifinals last season.
Minutes later, Lund picked up the rebound off an Osvaldo Alonso shot and pushed it into the back of the net to make it 2-0.
Sounders FC kept the shutout until the 88th minute when RSL's Jordan Sterzer got to a deflected shot and put it into the open net for a goal.
The win marked the second straight for Sounders FC in the Desert Diamond Cup after taking down the New England Revoution, 2-0, on Wednesday.
The three goals scored were more than the two teams scored against each other in five games (including playoffs) in 2012.
Despite not scoring, Seattle pressed the net in the first half. In the 21st minute, a Mauro Rosales free kick was snatched by RSL keeper Nick Rimando amidst a dangerous crowd in the box. In the 40th, DeAndre Yedlin made a run up the right side and found David Estrada in the box, but the striker's shot rolled wide of the far post.
The four-game tournament continues on Wednesday when Sounders FC takes on the New York Red Bulls and concludes next Saturday with the championship and third place games. Seattle will also play Mexican side Veracruz on Friday to prepare for their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal matchup with Tigres.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 16, 2013
- Rookie Manneh steals show with two goals, Kobayashi with the other - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sounders FC defeat Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Open Carolina Challenge Cup with 3-2 Comeback Win - Chicago Fire
- Dynamo Tipped by Fire in Preseason Clash - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Succumbs 1-2 to Seattle in FC Tucson Desert Diamond - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Play to 0-0 Draw with K-League's Gangwon FC - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy Learn a Lesson in a New Style of Play against Korean Opposition - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Union Defeat Toronto FC Behind Three Goal Performance - Philadelphia Union
- Crepeau, Messoudi and Jackson-Hamel Selected by Canada U20 - Montreal Impact
- Impact Qualifies for Final of World Disney World Pro Soccer Classic - Montreal Impact
- 15,000 Tickets Sold for Home Opener - Montreal Impact
- Chivas USA Defeats Colorado Rapids 3-0 in Las Vegas - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Impact Plays the Philadelphia Union to a 0-0 Draw - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.