Dynamo Tipped by Fire in Preseason Clash
CHARLESTON, S.C. (Saturday, February 16, 2013) - The Houston Dynamo fell to the Chicago Fire, 3-2, on Saturday night in the opening game of the Carolina Challenge Cup at Blackbaud Stadium. Adam Moffat and Cam Weaver each scored for the Dynamo, but Chicago received goals from Sherjill MacDonald, Dilly Duka and Jeff Larentowicz to secure the win.
It was the Dynamo's first-ever loss in the Carolina Challenge Cup after winning the 2006 and 2007 tournaments with a combined record of 4-0-2.
The Dynamo seized the lead in the 15th minute on a free kick 25 yards from goal. Brad Davis rolled a short pass to Moffat, who drove a low shot through the Chicago wall and inside the post for a 1-0 lead.
Eight minutes later, the Fire equalized as McDonald slipped in behind the Houston defense and slid his shot past Dynamo goalkeeper Tally Hall for an equalizing goal.
Chicago added a second goal four minutes later. Patrick Nyarko broke free on the right flank and bent a pass across the six-yard box, where Duka managed to steer a shot into the net under pressure from defender Kofi Sarkodie and Hall.
After the quick pair of goals from the Fire, Hall kept the Dynamo in the game with several key saves. First, near the end of the first half, Hall stopped Duka with an outstretched leg on his goal-bound effort from the top of the box. Next, in the 48th minute, Hall produced another great reaction save, diving to his right to push aside a strong header from Chris Rolfe.
But the Fire took advantage of the ensuing corner, with Joel Lindpere serving up Larentowicz, whose header found the side of the net for a 3-1 lead.
Houston fought to get back in the game, and Giles Barnes came close to scoring in the 64th minute. A nice buildup led to a layoff for Barnes, who cracked a shot from 30 yards, but Chicago goalkeeper Sean Johnson dove toward the upper corner to deflect it wide.
Just like the Fire, the Dynamo capitalized on the resulting corner kick. Davis swung in a quality service and Weaver snapped a header into the far side of the net to pull Houston within a goal, 3-2.
Hall rose to the occasion again in the 82nd minute. The U.S. national team goalkeeper stopped a penalty kick from Maicon Santos, diving to his right to smother the penalty with a two-hand save.
The Dynamo came close to scoring a late, tying goal, including a shot from Jason Johnson that just missed the far post and a free kick from Barnes that resulted in a wide header from Eric Brunner, but could not convert their chances.
Houston midfielder Ricardo Clark left the game in the first half with a left knee contusion.
The Dynamo continue the Carolina Challenge Cup on Wednesday at 4 p.m. CT in a meeting with the Vancouver Whitecaps at Blackbaud Stadium. The game will be broadcast live at USLnation.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 16, 2013
- Rookie Manneh steals show with two goals, Kobayashi with the other - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sounders FC defeat Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Open Carolina Challenge Cup with 3-2 Comeback Win - Chicago Fire
- Dynamo Tipped by Fire in Preseason Clash - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Succumbs 1-2 to Seattle in FC Tucson Desert Diamond - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Play to 0-0 Draw with K-League's Gangwon FC - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy Learn a Lesson in a New Style of Play against Korean Opposition - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Union Defeat Toronto FC Behind Three Goal Performance - Philadelphia Union
- Crepeau, Messoudi and Jackson-Hamel Selected by Canada U20 - Montreal Impact
- Impact Qualifies for Final of World Disney World Pro Soccer Classic - Montreal Impact
- 15,000 Tickets Sold for Home Opener - Montreal Impact
- Chivas USA Defeats Colorado Rapids 3-0 in Las Vegas - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Impact Plays the Philadelphia Union to a 0-0 Draw - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Home Match vs. LA Galaxy on May 5 Officially Sold Out
- Houston Dynamo Acquire MF Luis Gil on Loan from Queretaro FC
- Dynamo Receive Goals from Five Players in 5-1 Win over Toronto FC
- Three Points: Dynamo Return Home to Face Reigning Champs
- Dynamo Earn Fourth Straight Road Result in 2-2 Draw at San Jose