Earthquakes Weekly UpdateFebruary 4, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) San Jose Earthquakes
Earthquakes Split Results in Arizona
The Earthquakes split their first pair of preseason games during a trip to Tucson, Ariz. last week. They opened with a 2-0 win against the Houston Dynamo thanks to a pair of goal from trialist Alexandre Gonzalez Emerson on Tuesday, Jan. 29 and closed with a 1-0 loss against the Colorado Rapids on Saturday, Feb. 2.
Bernardez Called to Honduras Duty Ahead of World Cup Qualifier Against United States
Earthquakes defender Victor Bernardez was among 23 names called to national team duty for Honduras ahead of a CONCACAF World Cup qualifier against the United States. Los Catrachos will host the Americans on Wednesday, Feb. 6 in the opening game of hexagonal play.
Stanford Stadium Tickets Now on Sale
Tickets to the club's June 29 match against the LA Galaxy at Stanford Stadium, presented by XFINITY, are now on sale by visiting www.sjearthquakes.com or calling 800-225-2277. Groups of 10 or more should call the club's headquarters at 408-556-7700. Last year's match drew a capacity crowd of 50,391 for a 4-3 Earthquakes win against the Galaxy.
Earthquakes Prep for Trip to Southern California
The Earthquakes will train in San Jose through Thursday before departing for Oxnard for a six-day swing. The club will face the Chicago Fire on Saturday, Feb. 9 at UC Santa Barbara's Harder Stadium. The match kicks off at 6 p.m. PT and will be streamed at www.sjearthquakes.com. San Jose wraps up its Southern California stay with an exhibition against the Ventura County Fusion (PDL) on Tuesday, Feb. 12 at Oxnard Community College (11 a.m. PT).
Doyle Nominated for National Soccer Hall of Fame
Earthquakes general manager John Doyle is among 15 names on the National Soccer Hall of Fame ballot for veteran players. Doyle has been a key piece of the U.S. Soccer landscape on a number of different levels. The former University of San Francisco All-American enjoyed one of the most decorated playing careers in U.S. soccer history. Doyle first began training with the U.S. national team in 1987 and was a member of the squad until 1994. He played in the 1988 Seoul Olympics and the 1990 World Cup in Italy, as well as the 1991 CONCACAF Gold Cup. Doyle earned 53 caps for the U.S., notching three goals and two assists. He has been a part of the Earthquakes' staff as a player, coach, television analyst and general manager and resides in the club's Hall of Fame. Voting is open to select individuals through Feb. 22.
San Jose Earthquakes Preseason Game Schedule:
Jan. 29 - #Earthquakes 2, Houston Dynamo 0
Feb. 2 - #Earthquakes 0, Colorado Rapids 1
Feb 9 - Earthquakes vs. Chicago Fire at Harder Stadium (UCSB), 6 p.m. PT
Feb. 12 - Earthquakes vs. Ventura County Fusion at Oxnard Community College, 11 a.m. PT
Feb. 17 - %Earthquakes vs. Portland Timbers, 5 p.m. PT
Feb. 20 - %Earthquakes vs. AIK (Sweden), 5 p.m. PT
Feb. 23 - %Earthquakes vs. FC Dallas, 2:30 p.m. PT
Note: Dates and times are subject to change. Games may be added at any time.
#The Desert Friendlies presented by FC Tucson at Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Ariz.
%Timbers Preseason Tournament at JELD-WEN Field in Portland, Ore.
Earthquakes Preseason Roster
Goalkeepers (4): David Bingham, Jon Busch, ^Jesus Guzman, Evan Newton
Defenders (11): Steven Beitashour, Victor Bernardez, Ramiro Corrales, Dan Gargan, Ty Harden, Jason Hernandez, ^Peter McGlynn, ^Colin Mitchell, Justin Morrow, Tommy Muller, ^Henrik Robstad
Midfielders (12): Rafael Baca, Mehdi Ballouchy, Marvin Chavez, Sam Cronin, ^Dan Delgado, Sam Garza, Jacob Hustedt, Bryan ^Jordan, Brad Ring, Shea Salinas, ^Sean de Silva, ^Abu Tommy
Forwards (9): Cesar Diaz Pizarro, ^Alexandre Gonzalez Emerson, ^Adam Jahn, Alan Gordon, Steven Lenhart, ^Felix Ogbuke, ^Lamin Suma, Marcus Tracy, Chris Wondolowski
^ Indicates non-roster invitee
Heredia Called to U.S. U-17 Duty
Earthquakes Academy standout Angel Heredia was named to the U.S. U-17 Men's National Team ahead of a pair of exhibition games at The Home Depot Center this week. Heredia's squad played the defending MLS Cup Champion LA Galaxy on Monday, losing 5-0, and will also face Nike's The Chance Team. Heredia has been a member of the U.S. Residency program in Bradenton, Fla. since 2011.
U-18s Split Weekend Results
The Earthquakes' U-18s defeated Crossfire Premier 2-0 on Saturday and then dropped a 3-0 result against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday at Danville's Mustang Soccer Complex. Tren Ray Biswell and Emilio Rey Hurtado scored goals for the squad in their 2-0 win. San Jose remains atop the West Conference standings with a 10-5-0 record, five points ahead of Whitecaps FC.
U-16s Win One, Draw One
San Jose's U-16s drew 1-1 against Crossfire Premier on Saturday and knocked off Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3-2 on Sunday at Danville's Mustang Soccer Complex. After falling behind early against Crossfire Premier, Amir Bashti found an equalizer in the 30th minute to preserve a point. The next day, San Jose pulled ahead with a sixth-minute strike from Joshua Totte and found the lead again after an own goal with a finish from Alex Liua in the 32nd minute. Vancouver rallied again and equaled at the hour mark, but Jonathan Portillo broke through with the game winner in the 78th to improve his squad to 5-6-4 on the year.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 4, 2013
- Whitecaps FC Take 1-0 Preseason Decision over Arizona Sahuaros - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Loses 0-2 to UC-Irvine in Preseason Friendly - Real Salt Lake
- Back with the Galaxy in 2013, Juninho could not be happier - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- RSL MF Javier Morales Undergoes Successful Menisectomy - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez named to the U.S. National Team - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Tickets for First Half of D.C. United's 2013 Season to Go on Sale Saturday - D.C. United
- Change of Location for Tomorrow's Chivas USA Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Red Bulls Acquire Allocation Money from FC Dallas for Forward Kenny Cooper - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Defender Jermaine Taylor Signs Contract Extension - Houston Dynamo
- FC Dallas Acquires Forwards Kenny Cooper and Eric Hassli - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Face Two MLS Opponents in Preparation for 2013 Season - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Announce Two Changes to 2013 Regular Season Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Acquire Conditional MLS SuperDraft Pick for Hassli - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire Acquire Midfielder Dilly Duka from the Columbus Crew - Chicago Fire
- Crew Acquires Dominic Oduro from Chicago Fire - Columbus Crew
- Chicago Fire Goalkeeper Sean Johnson Named to U.S. Men's National Team Squad - Chicago Fire
- Three Sounders FC Players Called in for World Cup Qualifier - Seattle Sounders FC
- Matt Besler and Graham Zusi Selected to USMNT - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Midfielder Brad Davis Named to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for Wednesday's World Cup Qual - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.