Bulls Return Home for Thirsty Thursday, Take on the ReignJanuary 31, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) San Francisco Bulls
Ontario Reign (31-10-1-2, second place, Western Conference)
When: Thursday, January 31 at 7:15 pm
Where: Cow Palace
Promotion: Thirsty Thursday
Tonight's Matchup: The San Francisco Bulls (17-21-1-5) return home tonight to take on the Ontario Reign (31-10-1-2). This is the ninth of ten meetings between the two teams, with the Bulls trailing in the season series 1-5-0-2. The Bulls have earned points in five out of their past six games heading into this divisional matchup.
The Bulls return home following their strong five game road trip, where they went 3-1-1. Last night, the trip concluded with a 4-3 shootout loss to the Stockton Thunder. Stockton jumped on the board 1-0 just 30 seconds into the game. Rob Kwiet scored the equalizer from Cody Carlson and Peter Sivak in the waning seconds of the first period. Early in the second, Stockton once again took a one goal lead before Dean Ouellet and Christian Ouellet each scored goals just 17 seconds apart to give the Bulls their first lead of the game, 3-2. Stockton tied the game early in the third period, before eventually winning in the shootout. The Thunder outshot the Bulls 46-26.
Despite the loss, the Bulls moved ahead of the Utah Grizzlies in the Western Conference standings and now sit in sole possession of seventh place. With Bakersfield's loss, the Bulls are 10 points in a playoff spot and just three points back of both the Las Vegas Wranglers and Colorado Eagles.
Netminder Tyler Nelson continued his strong play, standing up well against a barrage of shots, finishing with 42 saves. Cody Carlson chipped in two assists and Rob Kwiet scored his eighth goal of the season, giving him 28 total points. Rookie standout and All-Star Dean Ouellet reached the 20-goal plateau, tying Peter Sivak for the team lead. The goal also makes Ouellet the leading goal scorer among rookies in the ECHL. Christian Ouellet kept his hot streak going, extending his point streak to five games with another goal last night. The goal marks his fourth in as many games.
Ontario sits in second place in the Western Conference with 65 points, two points behind the Alaska Aces. They are led by ECHL scoring leader Colton Yellow Horn, who has 54 points in 44 games.
Tonight is the final Thirsty Thursday of the season. At select concessions, 12-ounce draft domestic beers are half off.
San Francisco is back in action next Wednesday, February 6 for Wrangle a Date Wednesday at the Cow Palace! The Bulls host the Las Vegas Wranglers at 7:15 pm. A speed dating event will be taking place during the first period.
ECHL Stories from January 31, 2013
- Toledo Blanks Cyclones, 2-0 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Reign and Kings to Host Royal Poker Shootout - Ontario Reign
- DiDiomete Called-Up to Chicago - Colorado Eagles
- ECHL Transactions - January 31 - ECHL
- Thunder Hosts "Hockey with Heart" on Friday - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Partners with Rebels, Jedi, and the Empire for Third "Star Wars Night" - Stockton Thunder
- Solar Bears Hold "BE GREAT Classic for Kids" - Orlando Solar Bears
- Elmira Trade Brings Campanale to Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Elmira Jackals Announce Host of Roster Moves - Elmira Jackals
- Bulls Return Home for Thirsty Thursday, Take on the Reign - San Francisco Bulls
- Solar Bears Unveil Turner Cup Championship Banner on Saturday, February 2nd - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Goaltender Jimmy Spratt Is Back - Toledo Walleye
- Lafranchise Returns to Aces from AHL - Alaska Aces
- Forward Tyler McNeely Loaned to Lake Erie - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - January 31 - ECHL
- Bulls Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Stockton - San Francisco Bulls
- Wranglers Soar over Condors, 4-2 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- 6,497 fans witness Thunder comeback victory over division counterpart - Stockton Thunder
- Three Goal Second Proves Difficult to Overcome for Titans - Trenton Titans
- Boyd Extends Streak, But Condors Falter Late in 4-2 Loss to Wranglers - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.