Back To The GrindJanuary 30, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Hershey Bears
Forward Jeff Taffe represented the BEARS at the 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic in Providence, RI. In his third AHL All-Star appearance, Taffe chipped in one assist in the Eastern Conference's 7-6 setback against the Western Conference on Monday. AHL teams will now return to practicing on Thursday. The BEARS will then host the Manchester Monarchs on Saturday at 7:00 PM and the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in a special 2:00 PM faceoff on Super Bowl Sunday. HERSHEY concludes three games in four nights with a game in Cleveland against the Lake Erie Monsters on Tuesday.
BEARS NEWS AND NOTES
TAFFE STILL TOPS: C Jeff Taffe, who is tied for the AHL assist lead among active players (29), picked up one helper in the AHL All-Star Game on Monday in Providence. Taffe leads the BEARS with 38 points (9-29-38), a point total that is tied for fourth among active AHL players. His 12 power-play assists rank tied for fifth overall.
STOPPED BY SABOURIN: With his 28-save performance on Saturday at Binghamton, goaltender Dany Sabourin has allowed two goals or less in five of his last six starts. He has a record of 2-2-1 in those games.
HOME HEAVY, ROAD HEAVY: The BEARS will play four of their first five February games at home, while five of the last six will be away from GIANT Center. Of the 11 games in the month, only four are against East Division opponents. The BEARS will finish out their regular-season series against the North Division with games at Lake Erie (2/6), Hamilton (2/15), Toronto (2/16) and Rochester (2/17).
WELLAR'S BACK: Defenseman Patrick Wellar has rejoined the BEARS after being recalled from the Reading Royals on Wednesday. Wellar has recorded (2-13-15), a plus-7 rating and 45 penalty minutes in 37 games with the Royals. During his recent one-game recall on January 26 at Binghamton, Wellar went scoreless with a plus-2 rating. The game was his 200th in a HERSHEY sweater.
100 MORE: Wellar's 200th HERSHEY game was also the game in which defenseman Patrick McNeill climbed closer to his milestone. McNeill's next game will be his 300th on the BEARS blue line. The Strathroy, ON native played his entire career - nearly six years - in Chocolatetown.
TOUGH TANDEM TO TOUCH: Dany Sabourin and Philipp Grubauer, along with the recalled Braden Holtby, have all combined to push the BEARS into fifth place in the AHL in goals against per game (2.44).
American Hockey League Stories from January 30, 2013
- Florida Panthers Loan Erik Gudbranson and Mike Santorelli to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Abbotsford Heat Announce 2013 School Day Game - Abbotsford Heat
- February: Four Fun-Filled Games, Four Great Giveaways - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Dallas Recalls Oleskiak & Roussel to NHL; Returns Reilly Smith to Texas - Texas Stars
- Defenseman Patrick Wellar Rejoins Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Recall Audy-Marchessault, Erixon - Springfield Falcons
- Whale to Support "Hats Off" Winter Hat and Glove Drive - Connecticut Whale
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Whale Sign Forward Andrew Carroll to PTO - Connecticut Whale
- Back To The Grind - Hershey Bears
- Texas Stars Add Beskorowany, Fyten to Roster - Texas Stars
- Amerks to Celebrate Hockey Weekend Across America, Moose's Birthday - Rochester Americans
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Parkes and Pearce Reassigned to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hirschfeld Heads South - Providence Bruins
- Oilers Assign Yann Danis to Oklahoma City; Tyler Bunz Assigned to Stockton - Oklahoma City Barons
- Seventh Annual Pink in the Rink Next Saturday - Charlotte Checkers
- UW Badger Band Joins the Admirals Game this Friday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Giveaways, Promotions Highlight Upcoming Month - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Host Pink in the Rink Happy Hour on Thursday - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.