Defenseman Joe Sova Assigned to ReadingJanuary 30, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) - Reading Royals
Sova (6'3/207) (24), a second year pro from Berwyn, Illinois, recorded two assists in twenty-five games with San Francisco this season. Sova, who signed an entry level contract with the New Jersey Devils in March of 2011, played for four separate teams last season-two in the ECHL and two in the AHL. He started the year with the Kalamazoo Wings of the ECHL, where he recorded a total of seven points (2g-5a) in eighteen games. In early December, he was called up to the Albany River Rats in the AHL, where he picked up four points (2g-2a) in fourteen games before being acquired by Carolina in mid-January (along with a four round draft pick) in a trade that sent forward Alexei Ponikarovsky to New Jersey. Sova was assigned by the Hurricanes to the Checkers where he finished the regular season, recording four points (0g-4a) in twenty games. At the conclusion of the regular season, Sova was loaned to the Florida Everblades, where he played seven playoff games in their drive to the Kelly Cup Championship. Prior to turning pro, Sova played three seasons at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks, where he three times led the school's defenseman in scoring. Sova, who was selected as the Nanooks' Top Defenseman in his senior season, racked up 58 points (13g-45a) and 132 penalty minutes in 115 collegiate games.
This marks the fourth stint of the season in Hershey for Wellar, a ninth year pro who was born in Carrot River, Saskatchewan. He has recorded 21 penalty minutes in five games with the Bears this season. In thirty-seven games with Reading, Wellar has fifteen points (2g-13a) and forty-five penalty minutes.
The Royals complete a season long six game home stand tonight (Wednesday, January 30 @ 7:05 pm) when the Wheeling Nailers visit the Sovereign Center in Reading. On Wednesday, the first 1,500 fans twenty-one years of age and older will get a plastic pint glass courtesy of All-Star Distributing. That evening Molson draft will be just $4.00. The Game Day Broadcast kicks off at 6:35 pm on CBS Sports Radio (1240 am and 98.5 fm). Royals multi-game flex plans for the 2012-13 season presented by Steve Moyer Subaru are available at 610-898-7825 and through the Royals website: www.royalshockey.com. Don't forget to "Like" us on Facebook at Reading Royals and "Follow" us on Twitter @RRoyalshockey for the latest team information!
ECHL Stories from January 30, 2013
- 'Blades Cruise to 5-2 Victory over Trenton - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Use Three Power Play Goals to Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Road Warriors Claw Past Solar Bears in Shootouts - Greenville Road Warriors
- Delmas Denies Royals, Nailers Win 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Giosa Pushes Komets Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Carroll Loaned to AHL's Whale - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 30 - ECHL
- Grizzlies in Ontario Friday, Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. San Francisco Bulls - Stockton Thunder
- Two More Steelheads Headed to AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- Defenseman Joe Sova Assigned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo vs Fort Wayne - Kalamazoo Wings
- Forward Alden Hirschfeld Reassigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bulls Return to California, Take on Thunder in Stockton - San Francisco Bulls
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Greenville Road Warriors - January 30 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Anderson Becomes 492nd ECHL Player to Reach NHL - ECHL
- ECHL Today - January 30 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.