Dynamo Blanked in ScrimmageJanuary 29, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Houston Dynamo Press Release
Houston's starting lineup included eight returning players along with trailists Mike Chabala, Franck Songo'o and Calum Elliot.
The Dynamo had more corner kicks and scoring chances in the first half, but could not find the opening goal. Houston's chances included a long effort from Ricardo Clark in the ninth minute, a header from Elliot in the 13th minute, and Giles Barnes' well-struck shot from the top of the box that was pushed over the crossbar by San Jose goalkeeper Evan Newton in the 29th minute. The resulting corner kick fell to Songo'o, who fired a goal-bound shot that was cleared by a wall of Earthquakes defenders.
Eight minutes after halftime, the Dynamo nearly seized the lead. Rookie Jason Johnson pressured Quakes goalkeeper Jesus Guzman into a poor clearance that was collected by Cam Weaver just outside the box. Weaver fired a shot that Guzman handled to keep the score 0-0.
Three minutes later, Emerson received the ball at the top of the penalty area and fired a shot into the far side netting for a 1-0 lead.
The Earthquakes doubled their lead in the 86th minute when a San Jose attacker went down in the box and Emerson converted the spot kick for a 2-0 advantage.
The Dynamo had chances in the second half, including a shot from the top of the box from Luiz Camargo in the 67th minute, a header from Johnson two minutes later, and a shot from the corner of the penalty area from Yannick Smith in the 73rd minute.
Houston will face the Colorado Rapids on Thursday at 7 p.m. CT. The match will be held at the Kino Sports Complex and will be streamed live at www.HoustonDynamo.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 29, 2013
- Whitecaps FC Start Preseason with 4-1 Win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy midfielder Hector Jimenez ready to contribute in his third season - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Knock off Houston Dynamo 2-0 in Preseason Opener - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Blanked in Scrimmage - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Houston Dynamo, Newtown Kindness Announce Partnership - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Defeat Rapids 3-1 in Preseason Opener - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Open Preseason with 3-1 Loss to Timbers - Colorado Rapids
- Chivas USA vs. FC Santa Clarita Storm Tomorrow in a Preseason Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Andy Najar Named to Honduras' World Cup Qualifying Roster - D.C. United
- Individual Tickets and Mini-Season Packages Go on Sale to General Public on February 9 - Montreal Impact
- Bengtson Called into Honduras Squad for WCQ - New England Revolution
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Major League Soccer to be Featured on the New Reality Competition Series "The Job" - MLS
- Kickoff Time for Dynamo Match vs. Sporting Kansas City Rescheduled - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.