Chicago Fire Reveals 2013 MLS Regular Season ScheduleJanuary 9, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Chicago Fire Press Release
The Men in Red host Opening Night at Toyota Park when they welcome the New England Revolution on Saturday, March 9 at 6:30 p.m. CT (NBC Sports Network). Chicago Fire Season Tickets and #cf97withdrawals Winter Packs, which give fans the opportunity to witness the Men in Red in action on Opening Day while donning the four Fire hats and four pairs of Fire gloves included in the pack, are available by calling 1-888-MLS-FIRE, via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at www.Chicago-Fire.com.
The Fire will appear on national broadcast partners NBC Sports Network (eight games), ESPN (one game), ESPN2 (one game), Univision (one game) and UniMas (five games). The club will release its 2013 regional television schedule at a later date.
The Fire will again take part in the 10-team Eastern Conference, playing an unbalanced 34-match schedule. The breakdown of opponents is as follows:
- The Men in Red will play a total of 25 matches against other Eastern Conference clubs and a total of nine matches against Western Conference clubs.
- The Fire will face seven Eastern Conference opponents a total of three times, hosting D.C. United, Sporting Kansas City, Montreal Impact and New England Revolution twice at Toyota Park. The team will in turn visit the Columbus Crew, Houston Dynamo and Philadelphia Union twice each during 2013.
- The Fire will take on Eastern Conference foes New York Red Bulls and Toronto FC twice each (home and away).
- The Fire will face each Western Conference opponent one time over the course of the campaign, hosting Chivas USA, Colorado Rapids, Portland Timbers and San Jose Earthquakes at Toyota Park and going on the road against the LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Seattle Sounders and FC Dallas.
Other Schedule Highlights:
Frank Klopas' side will play back - to - back matches against Philadelphia, hosting the Union at Toyota Park on Saturday, May 11 at 12:30 p.m. CT (NBC Sports Network) prior to heading to the City of Brotherly Love the following week for a rematch at PPL Park in Chester, Pa. on Saturday, May 18 at 6:30 p.m. CT. The Fire open their 16th season on the road against two-time defending MLS Cup Champions LA Galaxy at the Home Depot Center Sunday, March 3 at 4:00 p.m. CT (Univision). When opening the season on the road, the Fire are 4-4-5 since 1998. The Men in Red host Opening Night at Toyota Park against the New England Revolution on Saturday, March 9 at 6:30 p.m. CT (NBC Sports Network). The Fire are 9-3-3 on Opening Day at home dating back to 1998. For only the third time in club history, the Fire will host a MLS home opener in the month of March. The Fire are undefeated in home openers against the Revolution with a 2-0-3 record. Breaking down the 34-game schedule by day of the week: The Fire have 20 Saturday match days, 9 at Toyota Park and 11 on the road. There are nine Sunday afternoon matches on the slate, five at home and four away. Two nationally televised matches on the NBC Sports Network will take place under the Friday night lights, including an Aug. 23 battle at Toyota Park against Sporting Kansas City at 7:30 p.m. CT and an Oct. 4 battle at RFK Stadium against D.C. United at 7:00 p.m. CT. In 2012, the Fire twice played Sporting KC on Friday, splitting the series 1-1-0. The Men in Red will play just three midweek matches, two at home and one away at Toronto FC on Wednesday, Sept. 11.
- March 16-17 is Rivalry Week with eight of the nine matches being played between regional foes. The Fire take on Midwestern neighbors Sporting Kansas City at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park on Saturday, March 16 at 2:00 p.m. CT (NBC Sports Network). This is the first of three matches between the two sides, with the final two matches in the series taking place at Toyota Park on Sunday, July 7 at 2:00 p.m. CT (ESPN) and Friday, Aug. 23 at 7:30 p.m. CT (NBC Sports Network).
- The Men in Red play host to Eastern Conference foes New York Red Bulls on Sunday, April 7 at 4:00 p.m. CT (ESPN2) before concluding the regular season at Red Bull Arena on Sunday, Oct. 27 at 4:00 p.m. CT (UniMas).
For the first time since 2010, the Fire will conclude the MLS Regular Season on the road when they visit long-time rivals New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J. on Sunday, Oct. 27 at 4:00 p .m. CT (UniMas). When the Fire host the 2012 MLS Supporters Shield winners San Jose Earthquakes on Wednesday, July 3 at 7:30 p.m. CT, this will mark the first home game for the Men in Red during the Independence Day holiday since a 1-0 win over Sporting Kansas City on July 4, 2006. The team will play eight of its nationally televised matches on the NBC Sports Network, on which the Fire currently hold a 3-1-1 record. September will mark the busiest month in league play for the Men in Red as they are slated to play six matches, three at home and three away in Seattle (Sept. 7), Toronto (Sept. 11) and Columbus (Sept. 21).
The Fire will face a quick turnaround three times this season with three midweek Wednesday matches. The Fire will host the Colorado Rapids Wednesday, June 19 before heading to Columbus, Ohio to take on the Crew on Saturday, June 22. Two weeks later on Wednesday, July 3, the Fire welcome the San Jose Earthquakes four days before hosting Sporting Kansas City on Sunday, July 7. The final time the Men in Red will count on a quick recovery is after heading to Toronto on Wednesday, Sept. 11 the Fire will return home to take on the New England Revolution on Saturday, Sept. 14 at 7:30 p.m. CT. Newly acquired Fire midfielder Joel Lindpere won't have to wait long before facing his former team. Lindpere, who was traded to the Fire for an International Roster Spot on Jan. 4 from the New York Red Bulls, will welcome his former teammates to Toyota Park on Sunday, April 7 at 4:00 p.m. CT (ESPN2). Brazilian striker Maicon Santos, who was selected by the Fire in the first round of the 2012 MLS Re-Entry Draft will face his former team for the first time on Sunday, June 2 when the Fire host D.C. United at Toyota Park.
# DATE (TV) OPPONENT VENUE HOME/ AWAY TIME (CT)
1 Sunday, Mar 3 (UNIVISION) LA Galaxy Los Angeles Away 4:00 PM
2 Saturday, Mar 9 (NBCSN) New England Chicago Home 6:30 PM
3 Saturday, Mar 16 (NBCSN) Kansas City Kansas City Away 2:00 PM
4 Sunday, Mar 24 (UNIMAS) Chivas Chicago Home 4:00 PM
5 Sunday, Apr 7 (ESPN2) New York Chicago Home 4:00 PM
6 Sunday, Apr 14 (UNIMAS) Houston Houston Away 4:00 PM
7 Saturday, Apr 20 Columbus Chicago Home 7:30 PM
8 Saturday, Apr 27 (NBCSN) Montreal Montreal Away 3:00 PM
9 Saturday, May 11 (NBCSN) Philadelphia Chicago Home 12:30 PM
10 Saturday, May 18 Philadelphia Philadelphia Away 6:30 PM
11 Saturday, May 25 Real Salt Lake Real Salt Lake Away 8:00 PM
12 Sunday, Jun 2 (UNIMAS) DC Chicago Home 4:00 PM
13 Saturday, Jun 8 Portland Chicago Home 7:30 PM
14 Wednesday, Jun 19 Colorado Chicago Home 7:30 PM
15 Saturday, Jun 22 Columbus Columbus Away 7:00 PM
16 Wednesday, Jul 3 San Jose Chicago Home 7:30 PM
17 Sunday, Jul 7 (ESPN) Kansas City Chicago Home 2:00 PM
18 Sunday, Jul 14 Vancouver Vancouver Away TBD
19 Saturday, Jul 20 DC Chicago Home 7:30 PM
20 Saturday, Jul 27 (NBCSN) Houston Houston Away 7:00 PM
21 Saturday, Aug 3 Philadelphia Philadelphia Away 6:30 PM
22 Saturday, Aug 10 Montreal Chicago Home 7:30 PM
23 Saturday, Aug 17 New England New England Away 6:30 PM
24 Friday, Aug 23 (NBCSN) Kansas City Chicago Home 7:30 PM
25 Sunday, Sep 1 (UNIMAS) Houston Chicago Home 4:00 PM
26 Saturday, Sep 7 (NBCSN) Seattle Seattle Away 9:00 PM
27 Wednesday, Sep 11 Toronto Toronto Away TBD
28 Saturday, Sep 14 New England Chicago Home 7:30 PM
29 Saturday, Sep 21 Columbus Columbus Away 6:30 PM
30 Saturday, Sep 28 Montreal Chicago Home 7:30 PM
31 Friday, Oct 4 (NBCSN) DC DC Away 7:00 PM
32 Saturday, Oct 12 Dallas Dallas Away 7:30 PM
33 Saturday, Oct 19 Toronto Chicago Home 7:30 PM
34 Sunday, Oct 27 (UNIMAS) New York New York Away 4:00 PM
Major League Soccer Stories from January 9, 2013
- FC Dallas Signs Maryland Standout London Woodberry to Homegrown Deal - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy U-18's to Play in Gordon Jago Super Group at Dallas Cup XXXIV - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Rapids Release 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- Crew Unveils 2013 Major League Soccer Regular Season Schedule - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Releases 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule - Toronto FC
- 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule Unveiled - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Release Full 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Releases Schedule for 2013 MLS Season - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Announces 2013 Regular Season Schedule - MLS
- D.C. United Announces 2013 Major League Soccer Schedule - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Reveals 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule - Chicago Fire
- Impact to Kick off the Season in Seattle and Portland - Montreal Impact
- Major League Soccer Announces 2013 Houston Dynamo Schedule - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Announces 2013 Regular-Season Schedule - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Whitecaps FC 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule Announced - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Unveils 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Announce 2013 Regular Season Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Announces 2013 Regular Season Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC 2013 Schedule Announced by MLS - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Announce 2013 MLS Schedule - Portland Timbers
- 2013 Revolution Schedule Unveiled - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Signs Young Brazilian Striker Rafael on Loan as Designated Player - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.