Bighorns Owner Santos Appointed to Tourism CommissionDecember 21, 2012 - NBA Development League (D-League) Reno Bighorns
"I am truly humbled and honored to be appointed by Governor Sandoval to the Nevada State Commission on Tourism," said Santos, Jr. "I look forward to working with the Commission and the Tourism Department in promoting what I have always believed to be the best State in the US."
The goal of the Nevada Commission on Tourism is to generate revenue for the state by increasing domestic and international tourism. As owner of the Bighorns, Santos has been key in bringing the NBA Development League Showcase to Reno for the second-straight year.
"Reno has proven to be an ideal destination for the NBA Development League to hold its annual Showcase," said Dan Reed, NBA D-League President. "Reno will become the center of the basketball world in January, as all 16 of our teams and scouting personnel and executives from all 30 NBA teams will attend the Showcase, and we know they'll receive the excellent hospitality that Nevada is known for."
Santos, a Reno native and graduate of UNLV, is looking forward to working on the commission. "I was born in Nevada, grew up in Nevada and have raised my family in Nevada," said Santos. "Being able to be a part of showing the world everything that Nevada has to offer is exciting and from my heart."
"I grew up in California and we always came to Nevada in the summer for vacation," said Bighorns coach Paul Mokeski. "Nevada has every sport you can think of, from basketball, boxing, skiing, hiking, and biking. I congratulate Herb on his appointment and am excited that he is in this post."
"Herb has showed all of us his dedication to Nevada when he and his partners stepped up and purchased the team," said Bighorns team president Mike Reynolds. "The state and the tourism commission will benefit by having him involved."
The Bighorns return to action in Reno on Friday, January 4th against the Sioux Falls Skyforce. Pro-rated season tickets and group tickets are on sale today. For more information, fans can call 775-853-8220. Tickets for the 2013 NBA D-League Showcase are also on sale. The Showcase runs January 7-10 at the Reno Events Center.
NBA Development League Stories from December 21, 2012
- Legends Overcome 17-Point Deficit to Defeat Skyforce - Texas Legends
- Vipers Halt Charge Winning Streak - Canton Charge
- Second-Half Surge Lifts Tulsa Past Iowa - Tulsa 66ers
- Vipers Top Charge in Overtime - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Austin Toros Lose at Home 98-97 - Austin Toros
- Selby Leads Bighorns Past Torors - Reno Bighorns
- Shengelia Shines as Armor Fall to BayHawks - Springfield Armor
- Red Claws Topple Ants, 109-99 - Maine Red Claws
- Reggie Jackson Assigned to Tulsa 66ers - Tulsa 66ers
- Oklahoma City Thunder Re-Assign Reggie Jackson to NBA D-League Affiliate Tulsa 66ers - D-League
- Philadelphia 76ers Assign Arnett Moultrie to NBA D-League Affiliate Sioux Falls Skyforce - D-League
- Bighorns Owner Santos Appointed to Tourism Commission - Reno Bighorns
- Time Warner Cable Sportsnet to Televise Los Angeles D-Fenders Games - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Skyforce Partners with Local Knights of Columbus Councils to Host Free Throw Contests - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Celtics Recall Joseph from Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Brooklyn Assigns Tornike Shengelia, Tyshawn Taylor to NBA D-League Affiliate Springfield Armor - D-League
- Brooklyn Nets Assign Shengelia and Taylor to Springfield - Springfield Armor
- Knicks Recall Stoudemire, Copeland and White - Erie BayHawks
- Jam Outrun Stampede - Bakersfield Jam
- Stampede Beaten by Bakersfield - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.