Power Play Leads Senators Past PenguinsDecember 14, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Press Release
The only goal of the first period came at 13:19 with Binghamton skating 5-on-4. Defenseman Andre Benoit lofted a shot from the center point that Hugh Jessiman tipped over the glove of Brad Thiessen.
The Senators crafted a 2-0 lead late in the second period as they struck for another goal on the man-advantage. Benoit snuck down from the blueline, took a backdoor pass and threw the puck up high on Thiessen. The Penguins' goalie was able to stop the initial shot and a rebound chance, but Mark Stone was able to deposit the loose puck with 5:45 left in the frame.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton got on the board just as a 4-on-3 advantage in the third period was expiring. Holding the puck at the bottom of the far circle, Trevor Smith waited out Ben Bishop before beating the Senators goalie under the pads with a low wrist shot at the 8:10 mark.
With the Penguins pressing late in the game, Binghamton got a key insurance goal with less than four minutes remaining in regulation. Peter Wiercioch took a clean face off win and blasted a slapshot to the top corner of the net to make the score 3-1 for the Senators.
Bishop won his sixth straight start as he stopped 28-of-29 shots. Thiessen suffered the loss, making 24 saves on the night.
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins hit the road to battle the Syracuse Crunch on Saturday, Dec. 15 at 7:30PM. Penguins Holiday Hat Trick and Stocking Stuffer ticket packages are available now by contacting the Penguins directly at 570-208-7367.
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2012
- Henderson Sparks Admirals to OT Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sound Tigers Sink Admirals in Overtime 4-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Teddy Bears and Punches Go Flying - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Fight Back to Force Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage Fall Behind Early, Drop 5-1 Decision at Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Shut out for First Time this Season - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons' Rally Falls Short In Providence - Springfield Falcons
- Power Play Leads Senators Past Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Tie It Late, Win in Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Jake Allen Shuts Out Griffins 3-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Providence Extends Streak to Four - Providence Bruins
- Whale lose 4-3 - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens Top Pens, 3-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Monarchs trail Pirates in VIP Cup series, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Shut out Phantoms 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Have All the Answers at Connecticut - Albany Devils
- Checkers Squeeze by Houston Aeros 3-2 in a Shootout - Houston Aeros
- Additional Tickets Released for All IceCaps Home Games - St. John's IceCaps
- Wannstrom and Nigro Swap Places - Peoria Rivermen
- Heat Assign Three to Utah - Abbotsford Heat
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Providence, Game #23 - Springfield Falcons
- Patrick Wellar Returned to Reading Royals - Hershey Bears
- Houston Aeros Sign Rob Mignardi - Houston Aeros
- Home Stand Starts with Loss After Third Period Letdown - Lake Erie Monsters
- Wolves Edge Bulldogs 4-3 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Archibald's Pair Leads Wolves Past Hamilton - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.