Brendan Leipsic Nets Four Goals in 7-5 Winterhawks Win over EverettDecember 5, 2012 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Portland Winterhawks
The Hawks overcame a 4-1 second period deficit in the win, their seventh consecutive victory and 12th in a row at home.
Portland opened the scoring with a power play goal from Taylor Leier 8:15 into the first period, but Everett's Manraj Hayer and Dawson Leedahl each scored in the final 1:23 of the period as the Silvertips took a 2-1 lead into the second.
The Silvertips opened the second period with goals a minute apart from Kohl Bauml and Ty Mappin to take a 4-1 lead, but from there, Leipsic took over for the Winterhawks.
Leipsic scored three straight goals for a natural hat trick, beginning with a power play goal at the 8:46 mark to make it 4-2. He struck again at the 16:55 mark when he stole the puck from an Everett defender, and scored on the ensuing breakaway to cut the deficit to 4-3. Leipsic then completed the hat trick at the 18:37 mark to tie the game at 4-4 going into the third period.
Everett regained the lead 2:08 into the third on a goal by Trent Lofthouse to make it 5-4, but the Hawks exploded for three quick goals late in the game. Their rally began with Leipsic scoring his fourth of the night, a power play goal, at the 16:09 mark to tie the game at 5-5.
Just 40 seconds later Troy Rutkowski scored on a blast from the points to make it 6-5, then at the 18:07 mark Leier got his second of the game to give the Hawks the 7-5 win.
Leipsic's four goals extended his point streak to 16 games, with 17 goals and 22 assists for 39 points during the streak. It was the second four-goal game of the season by a Winterhawk, with Ty Rattie having done it in Swift Current on Oct. 13.
Seth Jones had three assists tonight, extending his point streak to six games, with one goal and eight assists for nine points during the streak.
The Hawks are back in action Friday when they host the Tri-City Americans at 7 p.m. at the Rose Garden.
Western Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2012
- Pats Fall to Red Deer 5-1 - Regina Pats
- Cougars Captain Brock Hirsche Announces Retirement from WHL - Prince George Cougars
- Tigers Donate $5000.00 in Scholarships to 40th Hockey Hound Bantam Tournament - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Blazers Name Willick as Captain - Kamloops Blazers
- Trevor Linden Returns to Medicine Hat this Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Broncos Call up Gawdin - Swift Current Broncos
- Teddy Bear Night Saturday, December 8th - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Jordan Eberle Honoured Tonight - Regina Pats
- Pats vs Red Deer Rebels Gameday Preview - Regina Pats
- Silvertips Lose Heartbreaker in Portland - Everett Silvertips
- Blazers Down Broncos 2-1 - Kamloops Blazers
- Brendan Leipsic Nets Four Goals in 7-5 Winterhawks Win over Everett - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.