Patrick Ianni Earns MLS Goal of the YearNovember 29, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Seattle Sounders FC
On June 20 against Sporting Kansas City, Patrick Ianni launched himself horizontally to meet Mauro Rosales' curling free kick with a right-footed side volley inside the near post. The goal tied the match in the 15th minute and the game ended 1-1. It marked Ianni's first goal of the season - the fourth of his seven-year career - and was named MLS Goal of the Week.
"It was a special moment for the team and the organization," Ianni said. "Watching the fans reactions was the best. I felt just like them when I watch the clip."
Ianni's goal bested Darlington Nagbe's strike against Real Salt Lake, and Fredy Montero's long-range blast against the LA Galaxy finished third.
The award marks the first time that a Seattle player has earned Goal of the Year. Kasey Keller previously won Save of the Year in 2010 and 2011.
The AT&T Goal of the Year was determined by an online and text fan vote, after 64 initial nominations for the award were eventually narrowed to four finalists. The final poll results for the four finalists:
Patrick Ianni (SEA) vs. SKC, 6/20 33.1%
Darlington Nagbe (POR) vs. RSL, 3/31 25.1%
Fredy Montero (SEA) vs. LA, 5/2 22.8%
Lee Nguyen (NE) vs. VAN, 5/12 19.0%
MLS Goal of the Year Winners
2012: Patrick Ianni - Seattle Sounders FC vs. Sporting Kansas City - June 20, 2012
2011: Darlington Nagbe - Portland Timbers vs. Sporting Kansas City - July 2, 2011
2010: Marco Pappa - Chicago Fire vs. San Jose Earthquakes - April 10, 2010
2009: Landon Donovan - LA Galaxy vs. New England Revolution - August 8, 2009
2008: Will Johnson - Real Salt Lake vs. FC Dallas - October 18, 2008
2007: Cuauhtemoc Blanco - Chicago Fire vs. Real Salt Lake - August 18, 2007
2006: Brian Ching - Houston Dynamo vs. D.C. United - September 30, 2006
2005: Dwayne De Rosario - San Jose Earthquakes at LA Galaxy - October 15, 2005
2004: Dwayne De Rosario - San Jose Earthquakes vs. D.C. United - August 2, 2004
2003: Damani Ralph - Chicago Fire at Columbus Crew - August 13, 2003
2002: Carlos Ruiz - LA Galaxy vs. Columbus Crew - July 27, 2002
2001: Clint Mathis - MetroStars vs. Dallas Burn - April 28, 2001
2000: Marcelo Balboa - Colorado Rapids at Columbus Crew - April 22, 2000
1999: Marco Etcheverry - D.C. United at Miami Fusion - May 22, 1999
1998: Brian McBride - Columbus Crew vs. Chicago Fire - July 9, 1998
1997: Marco Etcheverry - D.C. United vs. New England Revolution - August 27, 1997
1996: Eric Wynalda - San Jose Earthquakes vs. D.C. United - April 6, 1996
Major League Soccer Stories from November 29, 2012
- No Surprise: Meyer Ready for the Occasion of MLS Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Wins 2012 Save of the Year - Real Salt Lake
- CREW TO PARTICIPATE IN WALT DISNEY WORLD PRO SOCCER CLASSIC - Columbus Crew SC
- Patrick Ianni Earns MLS Goal of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- 2012 AT&T Goal of the Year and 2012 Save of the Year Winners Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Partner with Harbour City FC to Launch Island Academy Centre - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Expectations Increase as Revs Look Toward 2013 - New England Revolution
- San Jose Earthquakes' Chris Wondolowski Named Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player - San Jose Earthquakes
- Lucky's Pub to Host Official Dynamo Viewing Party for MLS Cup Final on Saturday - Houston Dynamo
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Wins 2012 Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player Award - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.